January 23, 2012

The story behind Thatcher's name

As Thatcher's first birthday approaches, I find myself reminiscing over my pregnancy. Each and every baby is such a miracle, and it still blows my mind that they start off the size of a period and eventually turn into walking, babbling, giggling humans. It's mind boggling, and the only words to truly describe it are below.



We had chosen Thatcher's name early in my pregnancy. I actually started calling him Thatcher around 14 weeks even though we didn't technically know he was a boy. I mean, as his mother I just knew but we didn't really know until September 14, 2010. I don't think I've ever told the story of his name here, but we get asked a lot about whether it's a family name since it's so unusual. And the answer is no!

As we do for every 4th of July, we spent the weekend at the beach with my family. To say that the traffic between New Orleans and Florida was bad is a complete understatement. It took us around 8-9 hours to get to my parents' house when it is usually a 4 hour drive, and the return trip was just as bad. Since the husband was trapped in a car with nowhere to go, I downloaded a baby name book on my Kindle. It was a little premature since I was only about 7-8 weeks pregnant but crazy pregnant women just can't help themselves! I wrote down every name that we liked on the back of an envelope, but we both immediately loved Thatcher for a boy. It met almost all of our criteria, which included being strong and masculine, unique but not made up, unlikley to get shortened and a name that could transition from toddler to professional. It was really important to us that he have a unique name, so I actually checked every name we considered in the Social Security Database (which is a favorite activity of mine - I'd be shocked if you didn't become hooked). Thatcher was not in the top 1,000 for any year in the past decade, so we felt pretty confident that he wouldn't be sharing his name at preschool. Though we just heard that another couple we know in real life is probably using it, which I think is really weird since it's clearly a name we specifically chose and is not often used. But I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? Right. I still think it's really weird - just keeping it real, people! It'd be one thing if his name was David or something, but Thatcher? Most people comment on how they've never heard it before.

Anyway, the only thing his name was missing was meaning. Thatcher is an Old English name and means "one who thatches rooves." Yeah, not exactly as powerful as something like "one who seeks truth" or "a light that shines." We talked about it and decided that we liked the name enough to use it, and the story of how we chose it - in the car on a drive back from one of our favorite places - and the intentionality behind it was enough. His middle name was easy. William has always been my favorite boy's name, but we really did not want our son to have a common name, and we also felt strongly about using a name that did not lend itself to nicknames (Bill, Will, etc). William also happens to appear on both sides of our family (though who doesn't have that name in their family?) so that was an added bonus. I should also add that we did strongly consider what sounded good with our last name, as well as what his initials/monogram would be.

Names are hard, but I have to say that I am still completely in love with our choice. And I secretly wonder if it will become a family name or if he will decide that he doesn't like it. Only time will tell!

16 comments:

Holly said...

Thanks for sharing this! I always wondered where his name came from! Love it!

Jesica said...

What a cute story! When I hear the name Thatcher I always think of Meredith Grey's father on Grey's Anatomy, I believe that's the only place I've heard it! Love it BTW. And also, just FYI on the show they do shorten it a lot to Thatch, but who knows if that will happen in real life!

Elizabeth said...

I love the name Thatcher!
I picked Hudson because it was a family name, I thought it would be unique...apparently a lot of '08 and '09 blog moms thought the same thing! Oh well :)

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this! I always wondered the story behind his name. And I have to agree with that I think it's a little weird about someone else close to you using the same time. We have talked about a boy name that I've heard before but a friend just had a boy and named him that name and I LOVE it. I argue that chances are we won't know them forever since we aren't super close. But at the same time I don't want them to feel like we copycatted them. And I agree with the above comment...I love Grey's Anatomy and Meredith's dad is Thatcher. But that's the only place I've ever heard it. And since this is already a book I will say that we also want to use first names that can't be shortened for a nickname! :)

Jen Watts said...

I loved Thatcher from the first time you blogged about it. I like unique names too..I do not know any. Cute story!

Natalie said...

What a wonderful story! I was also checking out the SS database to make sure Nolan's name wasn't too popular. And of course after the year I use it...it becomes more popular! Oh well, right?

melissa said...

I love hearing how people decide to name their children. I think Thatcher is a great, strong name. Unique yet somehow feels traditional. I agree that unique is good but made-up is just awful. And I can see how it would bug you a little when friends use the same name. It would bug me too.

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

You know I enjoyed this post :) My Thatcher has always loved his name because people always remember him.

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

I LOVE it and have a feeling it will become a family name!

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

I see there's a reply thing under my name. Is that it? Or something different?

E @ Life on a Quilt said...

I love the name! And the uniqueness! When I think about Thatcher, I feel like the only adjective that works really well is "dapper." Thatcher is such a dapper man. ;)

Claire Kiefer said...

As I told you, I looooooove the name Thatcher for all the reasons you listed. It's important not to have a vapid name (there are so many! I won't list any for fear of offending someone, haha), but also not to choose a trendy name that is TOO weird and that will lead to ridicule. Like Ashley said above, I think of Meredith and Lexie's dad on Grey's Anatomy . . . loved it when I first heard it there, too. It's timeless--you did well! What were you thinking for girls?

Melissa said...

My son is named Thacher (pronounced the same as your Thatcher). My husband and I got it from a former Top Chef contestant, Bryan Voltaggio, whose son is named Thacher. The name was never mentioned on the show, but we went to his restaurant and before going, I was poking around on the restaurant web site and there's a bit about his family. I never watched Greys, but a few people have mentioned there's a character on the show with the name Thatcher. Also, apparently another celebrity chef, Cat Cora, has a son named Thatcher.

Also, there IS another Thatcher in my Thacher's preschool. When I saw the class list, I was floored. The parents apparently got the name from a children's book author.

When I tell people the name, they often think that I've said "Patrick." Does this happen to you?

Kat said...

I love that name! My favorite name, my LOVED baby name for YEARS was Lilly but the year we got pregnant Lilly made it to the top 10 names. I was livid. Instead, we decided to choose a new name and picked Addison. And a month before Addison was born, Addison showed up in the top 10 list! AHHH!!!!! lol Obv I got over it.

Kris said...

I still cant believe our Godson's name is Thatcher William too! His first birthday was yesterday but unfortunately he spent the last few days in the hospital with a kidney infection. Luckily he is doing better and went home. I love the name!

Anonymous said...

My 21 year old son is named Thatcher. I've only met in person 1 person named Thatcher, when I was a child at a family reunion....that is where I first got the idea (that and the fact that my middle name is Thatcher! lol). We were just talking about names at a family gathering and I ended up searching for "Thatcher as a first name." I was surprised that there seem to be quite a few people using it!