January 14, 2012

A perfect Louisiana Saturday

The skies are a deep blue, it's about 60 degrees outside, and there's very little humidity. Essentially, the perfect crisp day. We have jambalaya on the stove, and friends are coming over this afternoon for mimosas, bloody marys and of course to cheer on the Saints. I really don't think life gets better. Well, eating crawfish during Mardi Gras with a cold beer is a very close second.


The husband's jambalaya
--stalk of celery
--parsley
--green onion
--onion
--2 green bell peppers
--chicken breasts
--sausage
--chicken broth
--Contadina tomato paste
--Uncle Ben's rice
--Tony's
--bay leaves
--minced garlic

1. Chop all vegetables very finely. At the same time, boil the chicken. When the chicken is done, cut/chop/shred into bite sized pieces. We usually saute the sausage on the stove (in a separate pan) at the same time. Basically, multi-task: cut veggies while chicken boils and sausage sautes.
2. Saute the onion, bell pepper and celery in a generous amount of olive oil and minced garlic. When those vegetables are soft, add the green onion and parsley. Let it cook down.
3. Add the chicken and sausage to the vegetables. Also add the tomato paste and combine. We usually throw in Tony's, garlic powder, onion powder, bay leaves and hot sauce. If you want, you can also add cayenne.
4. After all of that is combined, add 2.5 cups of Uncle Ben's and chicken broth. Let it all cook - we honestly don't measure the chicken broth, so use your best judgment. Too much and obviously the rice will get soggy, so start with less and go from there.

His jambalaya is not an exact science, but it is so freaking good. It actually tastes better the next day, too.

These pictures are from last weekend, but we're wearing the exact same clothes. I am superstitious like that. This shirt got us to the Superbowl, but last year I couldn't wear it since I was approximately 8 months pregnant during the playoffs and we all know how that turned out. Who dat!!!



Now we're off to the new house inspection. If the inspection goes well and the Saints win, it will absolutely be a perfect day! If you asked me to choose one - well, I am not sure I would know what to pick!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hope you. Enjoyed that amazing sounding jambalaya :) I wish the saints won!!!

Megan said...

I've been looking for a good jambalaya recipe, so I'm definitely going to try this one!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I take an intentional break from the blogosphere and miss so much. Sweet Thatcher looks like he's grown an inch! Hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas and Holiday season!

Can't believe the Saints lost - I don't think my husband has been that stunned in a while. Ugh. Amazing what Jim Harbaugh has done with San Fran in just 1 season.

We were in NOLA for the Championship game last weekend and had a fabulous time. One thing I didn't eat was some good jambalaya. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! This is going on my menu for next week.