And speaking of ample nutrition, I am really struggling to figure out how an 11 month old derives any nutrition from finger foods. My child is intrigued by them and plays with them but very rarely does he actually eat them.
Despite the fact that I've offered pretty much any finger food I can think of (fruits, veggies, meats, pastas, cheese, etc), the boy would just plain rather be lazy and have us feed him pureed stuff. The child won't eat macaroni and cheese! Clearly he is not related to me. So our current routine consists of me offering a plethora of finger food options, Thatcher flinging them off the high chair and to the dog and then me giving in and feeding him something soft. Every once in a while he will eat a good number of peas or grapes, but that's about it. Yet he isn't picky at all when it comes to the pureed stuff. This is our floor every single evening. Ignore the ugly brick (just one more reason we are thrilled to move!) What gives?
So, any suggestions on the transition from bottle to sippy cup (and formula to whole milk)? Thatcher will drink water and diluted juice out of a sippy cup, but the second the sippy cip is filled with formula, forget it! I am thinking we may have to go cold turkey (sort of like we did when we instituted Ferber) but I am not there yet. And I really don't want to buy 343 more sippy cups, as we already own 100 6. And what about this finger food stuff? My current plan is to keep offering a variety of foods at every meal, but it also feels so wasteful (though the dog isn't complaining!) Every day is a new challenge with this parenting business.
And while we're talking about feeding toddlers, I have to rave for a second about Oxo. We chose the Oxo Sprout High Chair and have been totally thrilled with it. It's aesthetically pleasing, easy to clean and a nice compact size. However, the tray on both our chair and my parents' chair was getting knicked really easily (and I started to worry about germs getting into the crevices). So I emailed them to see if I could order replacement trays and - get this - they were super apologetic and sent me 2 new trays free of charge! They really appreciated the feedback and want to look into the design so that it doesn't happen in the future. I just love amazing customer service and when a company stands behind their product. I would have recommended this high chair anyway, but now I wouldn't consider another one.
Bring on the sippy cup and finger food advice!

10 comments:
Oh my goodness, Thatcher is such a cute name. Adorable! He's mighty handsome, as well. :) I don't have any kids yet but I do take care of two little boys (22 months and 3.5 years), and I know well how much of a hassle feeding can be. Ugh. I hope it gets better soon!
I know every wee bit is different but I gradually replaced one bottle every day with this sports type sippy cup (it's very bottle-like) from Walmart. I believe they are Nuby, but I can find out for sure if you are interested.
Also, I STILL feed W with a spoon or fork as he isn't very good at it himself. I give him time to practice but also sometimes having a chest full of yogurt just won't work. He's obviously past pureed food, but he still takes some encouraging to eat. I am pretty sure he had pureed foods at 10 months and I would just give him finger food to practice the art of eating. I was always worried like you that he wasn't getting enough on his own. Keep offering. Also check out different books. There is one by Annabel Karmel that I liked. She has several and even recipes online. Some if was nice in that it wasn't pureed but was "mushy."
I agree that every time you figure something out, there is a new phase you must conquer! Good luck!
My advice (for what it is worth) is to go cold turkey with the bottle. I was SO done with all those damn parts of the bottle and Jack was actually totally fine with it. He was like Thatcher, loved his bottle and held it himself, etc. We did the soft sippy cups and he loved them once we put whole milk in it- wouldn't take them with formula. I am so glad we did it when he was about 12 months (it may have been 12.5, but who's counting?). The sooner you do it the better- it's just like sleeping, it's easier to do when you are in the driver's seat :)
Happy almost birthday to sweet Thatcher!
Well Thatcher sounds exactly like Brayden and the advice I have (not much sadly) we have already talked about through e-mail. BUT if you get any great advice could you post about it or e-mail it to me? :)
Bottles- what worked for us was Cold turkey! And we did it at a year. As for milk, transitioning her worked best for us. 1/4 milk and 3/4 formula, then half and half, and so on. She transitioned very well then. Sippy cups- we use playtex straw ones bevause they are the only ones i have found that actually don't leak. So that is all we use. As far as finger foods, my kid is an eater, i wish I could help more! Gerber makes these little ravioli guys and Lexi loves them! Also, the organic little food pouches are great for them To feed themselves. It makes them Feel independent, I guess! I am Sure you already know but just thought I would share! Good luck :)
I have no advice for you, but good luck!!!!
I don't have any advice, but your antics brought a smile to my face! I don't know how many times I've been babysitting and more food has ended up on the floor (or even in the baby's hair) than his/her belly!
Thanks for posting this! I know Azalea is a little younger, but I've already been worrying about her not wanting to feed herself finger foods. We put them on her tray at every meal and usually end up feeding her something pureed. Sometimes I will put puffs, etc. straight in her mouth, but I worry that she will never learn if I keep doing that. I think the bottle transition will be tough in a couple months, but I haven't really thought about it too much yet. Good luck and keep us posted!
Have you tried a straw sippy cup? My boy never did really well with the other kinds but is a master of the straw sippy!
Catching up...
I know this isn't exactly the same thing...but when we tried to transition Natalie from breast milk to whole milk she was not a fan. So I added about 50/50 breast milk to whole milk and she drank it. Then I just lessened the amount of breast milk each day and it only took her three days to not care one bit. Actually, I feel like it was more the temperature than anything else that was getting to her.
Wishing you lots of luck!
Post a Comment