I have no idea why, but I had actually read the book
My biggest complaint about the movie was that I felt like it turned SJP into a martyr without a voice. It was rather obvious that she felt pulled in a million directions and had a healthy case of working mom guilt. She begrudgingly went on business trip after business trip and pursued the next big project at work but almost acted as if she had no choice in the matter. Maybe it was bad acting (though with SJP I have a hard time saying that), but I just didn't believe that she truly wanted to be a career woman or that she truly wanted to be at home more. To me, it seemed as if she was stuck in this perpetual in between state and was just floating along, sometimes acknowledging her feelings but never acting on them.
Don't get me wrong - I am sure that the movie portrayed the way that some working moms feel. But it drove me insane that her character wasn't more intentional or vocal about her choices. Because I believe that at the end of the day it comes down to our personal choices for our family. I know that some women have to work for one reason or another and genuinely do not have another option. And I recognize that this is likely very disheartening and frustrating, especially for those women that have to work outside the home but would rather work as stay at home moms. And I do believe very strongly that being a stay at home mom is a job.
At the same time, I also know of many families who make the decision to forego one income in order for the mom to stay at home. While this may not always be an option, I do think that in many instances it is if the family is willing to make some sacrifices. I've read lots of blog posts on this topic, and all of them allude to the fact that it is an intentional choice that they have made for their family. Maybe it means less pedicures, purses and family vacations, but lots of families find a way to make it work. In I Don't Know How She Does It, it almost felt like she was waiting for someone to make the choice for her. And, I felt like it portrayed working moms in a slightly negative light.
What do I mean? Well, not all working moms miss all of the "firsts." And not all working moms ignore their husband. Not all working moms dread going to work. And not all working moms choose the next big project or promotion over Thanksgiving with their family.
How do I know? Well, because I feel like we have made some choices that enable me to work and be a mom. I really don't feel like it has to be either/or. I purposely chose to take a step back at work and pursue an option that would enable me to work from home so that I can drop everything when need be. I choose to work because I like the interaction with other adults and sense of purpose it gives me. I choose to work because I honestly think I'd be a really bad stay at home mom. This raising kids business is H.A.R.D., and I don't mind admitting that working actually feels like a break most of the time. Even towards the end of maternity leave when I was so sad to think about leaving Thatcher every day, I knew that a big part of me needed to get back into a professional routine to feel more like, well, me. Not a day goes by where I am not immensely thankful to have found a solution that feels like the best of both worlds for me. I work full-time but am still available to drop Thatcher off in the morning, pick him up in the afternoon and play with him for a bit before dinner, bath and bedtime. And I feel so incredibly fortunate.
Do I always plan to work outside of the home? Honestly, I'm not sure. We have one baby right now, and our arrangement works really well for us. We have made a lot of intentional choices to ensure that both the husband and I are satisfied and fulfilled. Right now I enjoy working, but if that ever starts to change then I'd be open to exploring it. Was it hard to get off the "fast track" at work? Give up the promotion I was likely about to get? Sure. But for us it was a purposeful choice. And I think this is part of the reason why I didn't love I Don't Know How She Does It. I felt like SJP had so many chances to make different decisions or to change things but she never really did. And I just wanted to scream "what do you want, lady?!?! Do you want to work or not?!?!" I don't think that working vs. staying at home vs. having your own business really has a right answer. There is just not one solution for all families. All that matters is that families make choices that work for them.
Even though I choose to work, I will admit that sometimes it's really hard. There are days that I feel bad for dropping Thatcher off at school and days when I wonder how I will squeeze everything in. Because the reality is that someone still has to RSVP to parties, go to the grocery, buy birthday cards, pay bills and the list goes on. And I am still trying to fit all of my social obligations into the mix as well because playgroup, small group at Church and girls' nights matter to me. A lot. I truthfully think guilt is something that comes along with being a parent. If I didn't have working mom guilt then I'd probably have I-shouldn't-be-spending-money guilt or some other form of guilt. But somehow it all gets done, and if I ever felt like it were no longer working for us then we'd talk about it and make a change. The truth is that we have way more control over our decisions than we sometimes believe, and I think that's what drove me nuts about the movie. It's like we were supposed to feel sorry for SJP but she wasn't really doing anything to make her situation better.
Has anyone else seen it? What did y'all think?


14 comments:
I haven't seen the movie so I can't really give any in depth insight here, but I can say that I totally agree with you that everything is a choice. We all have to do what makes us happy and own it. You are right though, there is guilt associated with every single decision we make as parents!
haven't seen the movie but agree with what you so eloquently wrote!!! true true true!!
I haven't seen it but sounds like she could learn a lot from you! :)
I love this post - I actually watched the movie and was pretty outraged. I mean, I get that they were going a little far with some things and that some people might feel that way, but I actually thought that the way they showed her life was...well...kinda crazy. I mean, she doesn't have to always choose work and she didn't have to choose such a hardcore job while she had babies. I'm all about careers - you know that - and I'd like to think that I'm doing great. But even with my career being a priority of some sort, my kid and my family still come first without a doubt. I'm not so sure that in that movie it was clear that they did. I bet the book is way better though and clearer. I'm probably talking in a loop by now.
It is so funny that you mentioned this movie because I watched it Sunday night too.
I really identified with the main character (including the stress-induced excema--I nearly fell off the couch laughing so hard at that moment.) I talk about Jack a lot at the office. When I'm going to be away from him for longer than I want, I wear my push present because it reminds me of him when I look at it. (Yep, cheese.)
I haven't made any concessions at the office. I'm still directly on the career path I embarked on before I had a baby and have more responsibility at work now than I did a year ago. Besides that, I also commute 100 miles round-trip. I love my job, or I wouldn't be doing it. It will be interesting to see what changes as we add to our family, or Jack gets older. For now, this works for us. It is absolutely our choice for me to pursue my career.
I didn't like that they portrayed her as a victim or even the way the movie ended, but it's Hollywood, which also gave us My Best Friend's Wedding. My busy seasons ebb and flow. I have late nights sometimes, but I intentionally pursue work-life balance when it wanes. I just wish they had shown a more balanced view.
Wow--awesome post!! I was really excited about the movie, but I agree--it didn't really do it for me. SJP's character wasn't strong enough and the movie just never really hit home. Growing up my mom worked a full time corporate job and actually traveled a lot--my parents managed to still raise me in a loving environment. I think it's all about choices--if you're going to be a working mom, you have to choose to make some sacrifices at the office for your family and if you're going to be a stay at home mom you might have to sacrifice some of your career aspirations, it's all about give and take!
I haven't seen the movie yet, but agree with you 100%! I struggle with the working mom guilt too, because I do like my job. But like you said if it wasn't that, it would be another type of guilt. I just commented on someone else's blog that it really does make me cherish the time I do get to spend with Addison & our little family. Maybe I'll rent the movie this weekend.
I haven't seen the movie but now I want to read the book first. I agree with everything you've said and yes those are all choices. If you are a valuable employee to your company and they value family then they will let respect your choice to not do "extra" work stuff outside of your regular duties. Family comes first! And I totally agree that if you didn't have the working mom guilt you would have some other guilt. I liked up to KK too!
Really good post. I haven't seen the movie. But, I agree with most of your thoughts.
I agree with our post. I chose to work for many reasons. I love my job and I am a muh better mother and wife when I work.
I really love your post. When I worked I missed so many of my girls important days, school parties, etc. I hate myself for that. When I changed jobs I made sure that my childrens activities came first. Because they will only be little once. If that meant I had a mad boss for a few days so be it. He'll get over and I have a memory made. I am a SAHM now because I was laid off. Being a SAHM is so hard. The work never stops. I have told my mother numerous times I need a job because I need a break. I was offered a position with a great company and I happily accepted. I look forward to some me time, adult conversations and lunches with co-workers. I also look forward to contributing to the family income. I too believe it is a family decision as to which route is best for you. Sacrifices are made either way and people will always have their own opinions. I think being a mother, whether you stay at home or work, is hard enough. We constatly question if we are doing the right thing. Instead of knocking other mothers down for the choices they've made, we should build each other up and support one another. We never know the circumstances the other person is going through and the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
I love seeing other women's points of view. Thank you for sharing.
Great post! Totally all about choices! We are totally in the same boat.
Thank you for a great post!
Post a Comment