February 14, 2012

The Thatcher Gator's 1st birthday: recap

Even though Thatcher was under the weather for his 1st birthday and we had to move it to my parents' house, it was still a huge success. I was really happy with how everything came together, and everyone had a great time!

I had settled on his alligator theme a while ago and knew I'd need to get invites and paper custom made (there isn't a lot out there with tasteful alligators on it!) I googled everything and just did not find a lot of ideas for an alligator theme even on Pinterest. I love how all of the paper items turned out and really set the tone. I have talked about Sweet Birdie's Nest before, but they were so wonderful to work with. They went through countless revisions with me and ensured that I was happy with the final product. I ordered invitations, return address labels, favor tags, thank you notes and a high chair banner, all of which I loved and really pulled the theme together.





Once I had the colors and theme, everything else was pretty easy. I ordered paper products to match and asked my favorite cookie lady to take care of the cookies and smash cake. Based on a recommendation from another blogger, I ordered Thatcher an adorable outfit online and was pretty much done!


I really didn't get too complicated with the food because we were supposed to be at a playground (read: no cute table tents or food labels or cupcake toppers). We basically had "playground food," which was fruit, finger sandwiches and a few dips. I also had a mimosa and bloody mary bar for the big gators. In the end I think it was better that I was planning an outdoor party because I didn't get too carried away (which I may or may not be known to do!)











Even with the change of location and a sick baby, it was a fabulous party overall!

*Resources:
Invitations and matching paper items: Sweet Birdie's Nest
Cookies and smash cake: JCB Creations
Cookie cake: Great American Cookie
Personalized alligator t-shirt: Personalized Creations
Gingham pants: NOLA Tots
Paper plates, cups, napkins and party favors: Celebrate Express

*I purchased all of these items, and all opinions are my own. I'd recommend all of these vendors for their quality and customer service.

17 comments:

Blissful & Wishful said...

Very cute and I love how you created the theme making it original to you! Thanks for sharing.

Lindsay said...

Precious!

Ashlynn said...

What a precious party and theme! You did a fabulous job :)

Elizabeth said...

Everything came out great! Love the theme & looks like a good time was had by all!

Callie said...

I love the gator theme! Everything turned out great!

melissa said...

What an adorable party! You did a great job. Everything was so cute. I hope Thatcher is feeling better!

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

This turned out so cute! I LOVE his cake. How perfect!

Andie said...

His party really came out cute! So glad he had a good time even though he wasn't feeling well! You did a great job!

I'm glad you were able to get him a cute personalized shirt from Anna. She's got a ton of great stuff!

Jesica said...

Very cute, love the gator theme!

Maria said...

Great theme! My husband and I went to University of Florida and will probably do a gator/orange/blue theme in the future- these are such cute ideas! Did Thatcher enjoy his smash cake? My son wanted nothing to do with it. Boo. It sure looks like he had a fun time :)

Natalie said...

I really love LOVE this theme. Everything came out great. I impressed with your time management skills with everything you've had going on!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh!! I LOVE everything! You did such a wonderful job pulling everything together! Thanks for your tips on my blog yesterday. I just might be back for more :)

Claire Kiefer said...

Everything looks adorable. And you're a true New Orleans girl for supplying cocktails for the grown ups! :) Happy birthday, Thatcher!

Miss Sweet Tea said...

Great party - I love everything!! Happy Birthday, Thatcher!!

Unknown said...

Such a cute little gator! And I love some cookie cake.

What a fun, nostalgic time of year. :)

Kat said...

You are SO CUTE! I love that party theme and everything looks like it turned out PERFECT, sick baby and all!

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Thatcher! I'm way behind in my google reader from being on vacation. His party looked adorable!