February 22, 2012

Q&A: These are a few of my favorite things

This post could reach epic length because I am not the type to have a favorite anything. I am usually really indecisive and have a hard time choosing between things because I like lots of different styles and flavors, depending on my mood. But I shall try to narrow the list!

via

Natalie, who is rocking the cutest baby bump right now, asked "What is your favorite New Orleans style food dish?" Oh my goodness. This is like asking an art enthusiast to pick their favorite painting (mine is probably Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party, but no one asked). I love jambalaya, and we make this at home during football season all the time. Our recipe is really not hard, and it's a huge crowd pleaser. I also love red beans and rice (also during football season), and this recipe is seriously idiot proof. However, I absolutely love crawfish, my dad makes the world's best shrimp creole and I will never turn down oysters. Oh, and the husband's aunt makes gumbo that is to die for. Top all of that off with beignets or king cake and I would be one happy fat girl.


via

Kat, who I like so much that I once had a dream about meeting her at LaGuardia (she knows, don't worry!), asked "What is your favorite movie? Song? Shoe-maker? Store to shop at for you? Baby?" Whoa. Too much pressure! I don't like playing favorites. As far as movies, my entire childhood revolved around memorizing lines to Don't Tell Mom The Baby-sitter's Dead. To the point that I used to pretend to create QED reports. "I'm right on top of that, Rose!" The movie to which I have the most emotional connections is The Sound of Music. I have the fondest memories of watching it at Christmas every year with my mom, her sisters, my cousins and grandparents. "I'm Liesl. I'm 16 years old and I DON'T need a governess." Secretly I have always wanted to name a daughter Liesl. I was obsessed with her. Best in Show makes me pee in my pants it's so funny, and I never flip past Father of the Bride if it's on TV.


On to music. I am afraid this would turn into a novel, but I'll do my best. When I was younger, my friend and I (the same one who watched Don't Tell Mom with me 1900 times) used to frequent Sound Warehouse like it was our job. Of course, we had to beg our moms to take us, but they always obliged and we'd buy singles. Anyone else remember singles? I loved music growing up and some of my favorite singles included Skee Lo's "I Wish" and Des'ree's "You Gotta Be." In fact, I am pretty sure that I thought "You Gotta Be" was my life anthem. I loved the lyrics. I actually just looked them up and think they're pretty poignant. I was wise in middle school, what can I say?


One album that I can't ever get enough of is Counting Crows August and Everything After. Oh my, do I love that album. I was born in July, so my astrological sign is Cancer and I am nothing if not intensely emotional. To me, music is therapeutic, and you have to really listen to it. Some of my favorite girl anthems include "32 Flavors" and Sheryl Crow's "Strong Enough." If I ever have to pick a karaoke song, you better believe I am picking "Stay" by Lisa Loeb. My best friends in middle school and I (one of whom is now Lillian's mother) were pretty much obsessed with Salt 'N' Pepa and have a choreographed dance to end all dances to "Shoop." I still know it, not that I performed it when celebrating one of their 30th birthdays in August or anything (we do get out, and we do leave Thatcher with baby-sitters. Clearly. More on that tomorrow).


I love me some rap and country, too. Songs like "Run" by George Straight, "Rain" by Clint Black and I have not met a Lil Wayne song that I haven't fell in love with. "Promiscuous Girl" is absolutely on my iPod. I'll stop there, but I love, love, love music. The husband and I sometimes play a game where we just flip through the radio and see who knows the words first. I always win.

As for my shoe closet, I don't discriminate. I have amazing shoes in there from Tar-jay, Banana Republic and everything in between. I am a pretty classic and traditional girl, though, and would happily take any and all Stuart Weitzman shoes. Boring? Maybe. But I like a classic profile and high quality.


As far as where I shop, it totally depends on what I am shopping for. I would kill for a Publix in Louisiana, and who doesn't love Target? I really try to do the vast majority of shopping online with a full-time job and baby. I like Diapers.com (or Soap.com) and Amazon for baby products and household items. Why lug the paper towels to the car when you don't have to? I am really not much of a shopper when it comes to clothes, but I love Piperlime, Saks and Nordstrom. And, I totally have clothes from Target.


Claire, who went to college at Tulane and shares my Drew Brees obsession, asked "What's your favorite restaurant in New Orleans?" Y'all are killing me with this favorites business! I love a place in the Quarter called EAT for brunch, and the po-boys at Radasta's are by far the best in the city. For a fancy dinner, I love Clancy's, Herbsaint and La Boca. For sandwiches, I absolutely love Tartine and Il Posto. Bud's Broiler sustained me through my first pregnancy and clued me in to Thatcher being, well, Thatcher. This one's for you, Claire!


Andie asked "What's your favorite color?" I really do not have one! I am not huge into bright colors, so Thatcher has a very neutral nursery, but I am not opposed to colors either, if that makes sense. I just prefer a more toned down palate. My ideal living room is below, and there isn't much color, I know. I just like soothing tones and neutrals. Ain't no baby girl of mine ever having a hot pink room. Subtle blues and grays rock my world. Bold colors I can only tolerate in fabric swatches. Anything that reminds me of the beach is fabulous, but I am not one for bright patterns and jewel tones. I have a few items of clothing that are colorful, but I usually feel like a clown.

16 comments:

Lindsay said...

The fact that we grew up in the same city and went to different schools (STM vs MPCDS) is just a travesty- I could have written the post you wrote! So much in common!

Anonymous said...

I'm such an idiot. I can't believe we came to New Orleans in Jan without getting your restaurant recs. I haven't eaten at any of the ones you mentioned. Dangit. I used to play that Counting Crows cd all. the. time. Still love it! Adam Duritz at his best imo. That's the cutest pic of you at the Drew Brees signing. Be glad I don't live near you though, because I'd steal your gold sandals. Not even joking ;)

Erin said...

Love this post- I wish I lived closer, because we have so much in common! Happy Wednesday :)

Unknown said...

It took me a minute to see what that last pic was of. LOL. I was like why is that guy holding an umbrella? Way cool!

Lindsay said...

loving these posts!

Elizabeth said...

Love this!! And so wish I had a picture like your last one! Love me some Drew Brees!!!

Andie said...

I love that pic of you at the drew brees signing. I tried to go to one of them, but I had to work and the line was too long when I got there. :(

You are so cute!

Holly said...

I love these posts! I also love me some oysters!!!! YUMMMY!

Natalie said...

I'm like you and love all kinds of different music! Just depends on my mood :) These are such fun posts :)

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Will be making that red beans recipe soon thank you very much! And I love that the post it's on has an icee reference!

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

Love this! I definitely cracked up about the music and movie ones. Loved all those songs too! Fun little reminder :)

Kelly said...

Cafe du Monde is my hero! (I am a TOTAL tourist, where ever I go, I love all things tourist) Anyways, the Cafe Au Lait and Beignets are just so divine! :)

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

I loved this! This post made me very hungry as well as have a strong urge to break out my TLC "Crazy, Sexy, Cool" cd. Yes...I still have it somewhere!

Claire Kiefer said...

To that picture I say OMG with jealousy, and I am emailing you now.

Kat said...

LOVE your answers ;) 1- I LOVE Father of the Bride ("Every parrrty has a pooper that's why we invited youuuuu, PARTY POOOPER") and Best in Show - OMG LOL. I die. We listen to Toddler radio WAY too much and sound of music is always on there. TOO FUNNY. Swoop, there it is. That's that.
I want that nude pump - and Targee (that's French for Target) and Banana are like my all-time FAVS. There's no Publix here either! Nor Chick-fileA What gives?

Anonymous said...

i love that a lot of the food you mentioned in this post is something i'm actually familiar with. thank you razzoo's for the many years we spent together haha. love, love, love crawfish! i pretty much like everything you said except for the oysters. never. could. get. myself to eat any of that. love your movie and music mentions too. gosh the 80s and 90s had some good music!