July 10, 2012

Are your kids spoiled?

Last week when I was at the beach, my mom shared a fascinating article entitled "Spoiled Rotten," initially published in The New Yorker. Read (or quickly skim during naptime) the full article here.


The basic premise of the article (and forgive me, as I am not an English major so this is my best attempt at a summary) is that American kids, by and large, are spoiled and entitled simply because we, as parents, do too much for them. Yet at the same time, we tend to think very highly of our children. A few excerpts that resonated with me...

"So little is expected of kids that even adolescents may not know how to operate the many labor-saving devices their homes are filled with. Their incompetence begets exasperation, which results in still less being asked of them (which leaves them more time for video games). Referring to the Los Angeles families, Ochs and Izquierdo wrote, “Many parents remarked that it takes more effort to get children to collaborate than to do the tasks themselves.”"

"Children, according to “Life at Home,” are disproportionate generators of clutter: “Each new child in a household leads to a 30 percent increase in a family’s inventory of possessions during the preschool years alone.” Many of the kids’ rooms pictured are so crowded with clothes and toys, so many of which have been tossed on the floor, that there is no path to the bed. (One little girl’s room contains, by the authors’ count, two hundred and forty-eight dolls, including a hundred and sixty-five Beanie Babies.) The kids’ possessions, not to mention their dioramas and their T-ball trophies, spill out into other rooms, giving the houses what the authors call “a very child-centered look.”"

I am sure that many of you agree with me that the last thing we're trying to do is raise spoiled children. That said, the article really got me thinking about some of the things that the husband and I do to inadvertently create spoiled children. I am pretty guilty of giving in to whining for juice, and just last week I totally bought Thatcher "la la" (aka Elmo) stickers to avoid a tantrum in Rite Aid. And Lord knows I am Queen of "Thatcher prefers to eat grapes cut this way" and other such nonsense. Did I just admit that? Moving on...

So the husband and I talked about it, and we're making a conscious effort to ask more of Thatcher, especially while he is young and thrives on the idea of helping. I also talked about it with several friends, many of whom shared interesting ideas for how they're expecting more of their children. It seems like so much of our tendencies as parents to just do things for our kids is tied up in our own sense of urgency around the task (the toys need to be picked up, and they needed to be picked up YESTERDAY) or our own expectations (the toddler is never going to put the toys away how I'd like them, so I should just do it myself). Some of the ideas I've come up with...
  • Asking Thatcher to throw things away in the trash, particularly his own trash (he loves this!)
  • Having him bring me his high chair tray to clean after meals
  • Asking kids to pick up their dirty clothes after bath time and bring them to the hamper
  • Asking for assistance with toy pick up routinely (life WILL go on if the pieces and parts aren't exactly where they have to go!)
  • Not always giving in just to avoid the public meltdown (what message am I sending when I buy the stickers "just because?")
  • Having children bring their plates/cups to the sink after dinner even if it means some is spilled on the floor
  • Asking for help during meal prep (bringing items from pantry, putting items back, etc) ... (Side note: it dawned on me that perhaps kids tantrum while we are trying to get things done because they want attention and perhaps we should be involving them more instead?)
  • Letting toddlers get the mail or bring in the newspaper
How does this play out in your house? Are you intentionally asking your children for help around the house, or do you have other creative ideas of how to get toddlers involved? Do you agree that Americans in general are creating a culture of spoiled children?

The other thing that is interesting to me is that I don't necessarily believe in "chores." In other words, if your parents ask you to do something, you should just do it (or at least that was how I was raised). I don't necessarily have an interest in creating a chore chart and rewarding my kids for things that really should be done just because they're part of life (no one at college is going to give you a gold star for brushing your teeth, you know?) Thoughts on this?

19 comments:

Natalie said...

You know these are good points...what's funny at this age they do love helping...Nolan loves to help me sweep the floors and hand me stuff that is on the floor that isn't supposed to be and acting like he is dusting. I am trying to encourage it and say thank you...you are really helping mommy so that he gets in habits of doing these things. Right now they love copying us! :)

The Unlikely Runner said...

I myself don't have children, but this is something that my boyfriend and I are constantly discussing! We were both blessed with parents who taught us the value of working for something and who encouraged us and made us do things on our own, and "chores" were done because you were blessed to be in a loving and supportive family. Thank you for sharing the article! We both found it extremely interesting and only added to our many conversations! Prayers for you and your husband as you raise your little ones.

Danielle said...

I agree with you! America is raising spoiled kids but I think there is a difference between spoiling and love. We already do some of these things, actually Lexi pretty much taught herself and we just went with it. I don't think she is spoiled, most days, but some days I do see it! I give her juice when she whines or 'Minnie' when she cries her name 57 million times in two minites! However, we do tell her no and she does 'help'. Great post!

Jodi said...

Yes, yes, yes! My kids are NOT perfect by any means and I'm certainly not a perfect parent, but these are things that are very important for me. I want my children to be respectful, helpful, willing, etc. My kids are aged 5, 3, and almost 2. The older ones do most of the things you listed above. My 5 year old can vacuum one room. They also help set the table and wipe it down after meals. I agree that if you start early with these things, that the children will learn that it is expected of them to be a contributing member of the household and they will be helpful with a willing heart, instead of being forced.

Andie said...

This is an excellent post. I haven't had to get to this point yet, as Andrew is just starting to understand a few shreds of discipline, but I am definitely going to catalog this! I remember when I was a kid I was always excited to go get the newspaper and mail for my parents!

I also have the same feeling about chores, etc. because I didn't get rewarding for doing things like picking up my laundry, etc. It was just expected of me!

I will have to go read that article, but these are all very good points!!! Must bookmark!

Tiffany Norris said...

My husband and I were just talking about this recently! I'm big on the idea of them helping around the house, but I had never thought about the problem with rewarding them for routine chores. Our little one is not quite six months old, but it's never too early to start thinking about it, right? (I wonder how old they can be when you start implementing some of this stuff.)

Anonymous said...

great post momma! great article. the older they get the harder it is haha my eldest requires a little bit more reminding but he gets it done. the littlest is still at that age when he loves to help and work. there are tons of resources out there for age appropriate chores, we incorporate some for their allowance, and even more chances to earn extra $ if they want. we teach the importance of tithing too so we remind them that 10% of everything we give them as their earnings will always go back to God. they're good about putting their dishes away and toys and clothes, lots of reminders and repetition and check lists. but it can be done. :) you are doing a GREAT job with your little(s), the fact that you are addressing these types of parenting matters. kudos!

Sarah @ Vol Family Life said...

Since Evie was old enough to pick stuff up, we've been having her help clean up. Sometimes it takes longer and it's not done perfectly. But I also have a 15 month old who knows she can only have so many toys out at a time, that she must put her bath toys up at night, that will put her clothes in the hamper and carries her shoes to her bed room. I'm not saying we don't have some toys and blocks lying around, but we've definitely tried to teach her responsibility early. I have always said that you are never too young to try. She will know that momma and daddy are not maids and that she is expected to contribute to household duties. I was raised this way and it is how I will raise Evie for sure.

the workaholic momma said...

LOVE the article...its so easy to start spoiling these kiddos without even realizing that you are doing it!! We work with Addie on having her bring us a diaper when it is time for a change, cleaning up her spilled milk (she acutally enjoys running the paper towel over the floor), and throwing away her trash. It def makes for a much happier home and I enjoy seeing her gain these little bits of independence:) Great ideas you have above too - I'm especially guilty of giving in to avoid a public meltdown:)

Anonymous said...

Great post! These are such great ideas and wonderful things to think about. We definitely struggle with Brayden since he is delayed in his speech and we struggle with having him communicate with us. But with that said he does understand what "no" means and simple instructions and just recently he was started to get out his play vacuum when he sees me cleaning, so that's super sweet. :)

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Great post with some nice tips. We do some of these and others I need to consistently (I think that's the key) add in! Because of a sense of urgency like you said or that he'll spill more trying to help, I think I often pass up opportunities. Thanks for this reminder!

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

This is so interesting! I saw a similar article a while ago about how French kids are typically not picky eaters and better behaved because their parents make them eat what they are eating and they don't let them snack. When you mentioned that fact that toddlers seem to melt down when you are trying to get something done that doesn't involve them, that made total sense! I should try to give Azalea a "job" while I'm preparing food or whatever. It's easy to under estimate what they are capable of.

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Yes, my Hubby and I talk about this too! "Be thankful for what you have," is a something we say a lot in our house. :) We have done a lot of the same things! :) The boys bring their dishes to the sink after meals, they take their dirty clothes to their laundry basket or put them in a basket in the laundry room, they get things for us that we may need (diapers, something for one of their siblings), they clean up their toys, or throw trash away, and help do things for their baby sister, and she will clean up toys too. :) Just a couple weeks ago we added one little "job" for each, the oldest's newest responsibility is to wipe the table down, and our 2nd little guy cleans any odd toys up from the family room if there are still any out. We don't do chores either, everyone contributes and that's just what we do, we just help each other. :) You are so right, they love to help, our oldest likes to vacuum and our 2nd little guy loves to help with the dishes too, though I have to be careful there sometimes. ;) It's doesn't always happen perfectly but we love doing it! Great post!

Claire Kiefer said...

I am super old school when it comes to this--I've realized that babysitting two toddlers. When Milo tries to mandate which sippy cup he gets, I say "This cup will be just fine." Lately we've been asking him (and Jude!) to put their plates in the sink, and I ALWAYS have Milo take his dirty clothes to the washing machine. I think cultivating good habits (and manners and attitudes!) is sooooooo important. You're doing a great job!

Maydelin said...

this article it's just right! the kids right now are very spoiled, they don't want to do anything! I don't have kids but I'm a teacher and a nanny, and I don't know hat happens with the parents that they do everything for her child, I mean the do the bed, they pick up the clothes of the floor, they clean their mess... I think that what you do with your kid is that every parent should do with their kids

Anonymous said...

We are in the process of figuring out how to communicate this with our son. His attention span is so short he will usually not make it all the way to the trash can or he will get to the pantry and get distracted. I agree on the chores thing and never really even realized that we all just contributed as children. Although we are having a tough time with B all we can do is keep trying. We will continue to work with him and know that if we are consistent he will learn and become helpful in his own way. I hope to not be an enabler but it is such a fine line between teaching and him understanding vs. him just ignoring me or testing me.

Kelly said...

I had a friend tell me that she read (somewhere) that if you do not encourage kids to help at the toddler age, then they will grow out of the interest in it. But if you involve them in the helping process young, they will continue the desire. Not sure if that is true, but its not worth it to me not to try! :) So Xander throws away garbage, picks up toys (with our help nightly), wipes his mouth and hands, then his spot on the table after meals (again with help), puts his clothes in the "monkey hamper", and "helps" us prepare meals (little things like stirring or washing veggies). He seems to enjoy it, so we encourage!

Megan said...

Loved reading this!! I see this in SO many of the children that I know and it makes me sad. It's definitely not that the parents are bad parents, but like you said, it's more of a mind set that they will do everything to get it done quicker and easier.

Kat said...

I totally agree that kids here are spoiled but what worries me even more is how little we set up our children for the disappointments that they will face in the real world. I have to go on a little tangent here: we had a new group of peeps start last year and when the year ended, some of them received promotions, some didn't, based on merit. You should have seen the fits that those who did not threw and after talking to some coworkers, we realized just how little their generation is prepared to not be given everything, regardless of merit. Parents, school teachers, etc are giving in item after item year after year to their demands so they don't "hurt" any feelings. But what does that teach your child in the long run? Does it teach them to work for their goals? To go the extra mile? To supersede those around them?
I know this is kinda generalizing it, but your topic totally sparked a whole bigger picture about how Jon and I are looking at raising Peanut.

Like you, we don't really believe in giving in when we're at the store and when she pitches a fit, I pick her up without speaking and move on. I know that I have to deal with feeling embarrassed for a few moments but I'm ok with that if that teaches her manners, restrictions, and not to be a spoiled brat ;)

(wow, hello novel. sorry about that)