April 10, 2012

Next up... From Corporate to Domestic

Hi everyone! I'm Natalie over at From Corporate to Domestic, and I'm so excited to be guest posting on Ashley's lovely blog. I have really enjoyed getting to know her and her cutie pie Thatcher. I feel like many things in our lives mirror each other so it's great that we did find each other out here in blog world. So while she's working on her tan and listening to the waves---jealous yet?---I will try my best to entertain you!


Ashley had the great idea of writing about enjoying my life as mom of just one. Because in August, my life will be changed forever when we welcome our second son. My first son, Nolan, will be almost 2 years old---21 1/2 months if we want to get technical. I'm excited that my boys will be close in age, but it also kind of pulls at my heart strings to think that Nolan will no longer just be the center of my mommy world and my heart aches at that. I know when he's older he won't know the difference, but I'm sure it will be quite the adjustment after the baby arrives. He is so used to having his mommy all to himself. Will I be able to dedicate individual time to him? Will he think I love him less because I have to share my attention? Will I miss out on some great moments because I am busy with the other?

That, my friends, are the thoughts and fears that run through my pregnancy brain. So since right now I am still a family of three, here are some moments that I am cherishing with my little guy.
  • I love that when we are playing that he just loves to sit on my lap. It's so funny to watch as he "backs that thing up" to get in the sitting position.
  • I love how he jams in his high chair when I sing my own versions of songs into songs about his food. He just shakes his little shoulders and throws his hands up in the air like he's at a rock concert.
  • I love how he gets his blankie when he is ready for bed. He's so cute when he's cuddling on it and his animals that he sleeps with in his crib.
  • I love watching his reaction in the car as we pass new scenery. He always seems so interested in the outside world and especially in trucks!
  • I love watching his mind grow---when I ask him to help mom or get certain items he knows exactly where they are---or if they misplaced he makes a little sound that seems to say, "Hmmm, I don't know?" or when he puts his hands up saying, "Where is it?"
  • I love hearing him say "Daddy." He really emphasizes the word, and it sounds like DAD-DEE. When he hears the dogs bark and announce that Daddy is home, he high tails it to the door that leads to the garage and says, "Daddy!" It's really the cutest thing!
  • And most of all I love his smile and pure silliness. He's always doing "Happy Feet" or running through the house with his toys. He really is a joy, and I hope he keeps that spark.
Now my list could go on and on but I'll stop it there because I'm going to get to the next part of my guest post...some great questions Ashley asked me! :)

What is the one baby product you can't live without? I'm going to cheat and name two items. One would have to be my Balboa Sling that I wore Nolan in when he was a baby. Whether we were in the store, at church, or even just at home, I would walk around with him and he would fall asleep and be happy as a clam! My second item would have to be my Fisher Price Lamb Swing. It took Nolan a little bit to get used to it, but after a few times it was MAGIC! Nolan would sleep in it...or it would calm him down when he was upset. It truly was a miracle worker.

What photo of your child captures your little one's personality? These two photos are my faves because it just shows how silly Nolan is and his beautiful big grin!


What is a piece of advice you wish you had about life before baby? I guess I would have to say that every stage of development has it pluses and minuses. There will always be a challenge but also a blessing with each stage that your child goes through. Try not to rush it because it's frustrating because some of the "sweet moments" will never happen again. Enjoy every stage for what it is. Oh and travel a lot before you have children!

What is one misconception you had about babies/children before having one? I really did go into mommyhood with an open mind---and wanted to just go with the flow. I didn't have too many misconceptions because I knew that the baby would probably cry a lot, and I would lose some sleep. I didn't have a dream world where everything was rainbows and sunshine. However, I didn't know breastfeeding would hurt so much or that it would be so much work. I stuck with it and was able to make it to a year which if you had asked me those first few weeks I would have said that was impossible. It got much easier as Nolan grew, and we got into a rhythm.

What is your must read book? Well I'm going with two here. My adult book would have to be East of Eden by John Steinbeck. It's long, but I really enjoyed the whole book and the good vs. evil theme. It is very well written and kept my attention. My must read baby book would have to be, "The Happiest Baby on the Block." The 5 S's seriously saved my life! I read it after Nolan was 3 months old...won't make that mistake with the 2nd one!

What is your favorite quote? "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." --May West "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."--John Lennon

If time and money didn't matter I would... Travel the world! I love visiting new places and experiencing the culture and scenery!

Thanks Ashley for having on your blog, and I hope you are getting a killer tan and having fun with Thatcher! Oh and have a few fruity drinks for me will ya? :)

12 comments:

Natalie said...

I hope you are getting an awesome tan! Thanks for having me over :) Have a wonderful time on vacay!

Erin said...

I just love Natslie and Nolan! This is a wonderful post about being a mama of 1!

Happy vacation, hope the sun is shining!

Jenny said...

Such great questions and answers! I think you will be a pro at being a mommy of two Natalie!

Kimberly said...

Love these questions and answers! Natalie you will be a great mom to two!

Cam | Bibs and Baubles said...

great post Natalie!!! Our brains were synced today!! Girl, we are so on the same page!

Your tips are spot on too. Especially the one about travel. We traveled like crazy before my son was born. Haven't been on a "real" vacation since! LOL!

Natalie said...

@ Erin I love you and J too!
@ Kimberly I sure hope so!
@ Cam Yes are minds were definitely on the same page today! Here's to hoping we'll be great moms to two!

Natalie said...

@ Cam meant to type our instead of "are" :)

sherri lynn said...

What a fun post! Your list of things that you love about Nolan was so sweet! I love when little kids back their booty up to sit down - it looks so funny! And great advice - you are such a good momma resource so I am going to come to you when we have kids!

Emmy said...

Love Natalie! Oh and totally know the back up to sit thing- that is the cutest. And luckily most of those things Natalie loves will still continue even after number two

Life As Wife said...

I love when they run to the door when Dada gets home. Jackson squeal and screams Dada every time he hears the door jingle.

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Sweet post my friend! Glad to see you here with Ashley today! Looking forward to reading about your journey as mother of two!

Love East of Eden. Seriously. Love it. Now it's on my mind to re-read!

Kerry said...

What a great guest post Natalie! You're such a sweet mummy and your little Nolan is so adorable. You will be absolutely fine when baby boy #2 comes along, your feelings are normal. I remember having the same thoughts and slight guilt, but honestly, as your family grows, so does your heart and everything is as it should be xo