April 11, 2012

From Thatcher's wife...i carry your heart!

Hi Everyone! I'm Melissa and I blog over at i carry your heart. i'm a marketing professional with a passion for nonprofits, a wife to my husband Thatcher (I bet you can guess why Ashley's blog caught my eye!), and a mom to my 12 month old daughter Azalea. Thanks so much to Ashley for having me guest post. Hope you guys enjoy reading my post and feel free to stop by my blog when you are through. I look forward to getting to know you! First, here are the questions Ashley asked all of the guest posters to answer:

Photo of child's life thus far that best captures your little one's personality
Yep, there she is. my crazy girl :) This photo was taken this past February in Florida.


 
A piece of advice you wish you had about life before baby... I think everyone did a pretty good job of telling me to enjoy my time with my husband before Azalea came along. But of course you don't fully understand what they mean until that little person arrives and changes everything :)

One misconception you had about babies/children before having one... Hmmm...this is a tough one because I'm trying to remember what sort of ideas I had about babies before having one of my own. I guess as a whole I used to be that girl who would think "I'll never let my child do x, y, or z", but the truth is you have no idea until you become a parent yourself, and sometimes you just have to do what works.

Your must read book (besides the Bible)... I'm going to say The Time Traveler's Wife...the movie is good too, but as always, the book is better. You should definitely add it to your list, if you haven't read it.

Favorite quote... My favorite quote is from the poem "i carry your heart" by ee cummings (also the title of my blog).. Actually, I love the entire poem, but especially the last verse:


here is the deepest secret nobody know
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

If time and money didn't matter... I would definitely travel the world with my little family. So many places I would love to see!

Now, for my actual post, I'm going to talk a little bit about keeping your marriage (happy, exciting, strong, special) after baby comes along. It goes without saying that adding a baby to your family is a huge change for any couple. For some couples, the change in lifestyle is a bigger deal than for others. Thatcher and I were fairly social before having Azalea. We spent a lot of time hanging out with friends, going out on dates, but also often just relaxing at home.

I had always heard from other parents that taking time for just the two of you was so important for your relationship, so we've been sure to make a conscious effort to do that. In addition to being good for the couple, I would also argue that it's good for the baby if mom and dad are able to have some time away to connect. Your relationship with your husband (or wife) has a huge impact on how you parent, deal with stress, etc. so having some adult time is very important.

So, how often do you need to have a "date night?" I would say, whatever feels comfortable to you. Maybe it's once a week, maybe it's once a month. But try to make it a priority, and try not to let "life" get in the way.

Here are Thatcher and I at a MN game last year

Taking "date night" one step further, another great way to re-connect is to travel some where it's just the two of you. Of course this is a much larger commitment and requires your child being old enough for you to feel comfortable leaving them with someone. It could be just for a night, or even for a few days. Thatcher and I were lucky enough to be able to travel to Vancouver last week. I had a work conference there and he tagged along to explore the city. We left Azalea with his parents for 5 days and while we missed her a lot, it was so nice to have some time away. We came back feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the world.

Enjoying the sites without having to worry about nap time, poopy diapers, etc :) 

So, how do you take time to connect with your spouse or significant other?

3 comments:

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

Shley apologizes that my first question got cut off accidentally...here it is:

One baby product you can't live without - Azalea has sort of outgrown most of her "baby" stuff, but up until she was crawling, our absolute favorite baby product was the Johnny Jump Up. She loved that thing so much and it made it easy for us to get things done around the house, knowing she was safe and content.

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

Oops, that should say Ashley :)

Unknown said...

We loved the Johnny (as we referred to it!)

Making time for us is so hard! After we've both worked all week, as much as we do still love spending time together, we also are wanting to hang out with our boy. We make sure to take advantage of our church's once a month parents' night out, and that has been good for us so far.

Great post!