When I thought about what I was going to write about, I honestly had no clue, so I picked what I know best right now and that is being a mother and the simple choices that go with it each day. I thought I would give you a glimpse into my world staying at home with four little girls, all under 15 months right now.
Here's a little background: After a long bout with endometriosis, infertility and IVF, we were thrilled to find out that we were finally expecting--in a BIG way! In December 2010 we welcomed triplet girls into our family! Madelynn, Claire (identical twins) and Natalee were born at 32w2d, two days before Christmas! When our girls were only four months old, we naturally (and shockingly!!) while on birth control, conceived on our own, and so our triplets were 13 months when our newest little girl, Emily was born, making them, ahem, IRISH QUADS! { Insert - FREAKED OUT MOTHER, what the hell am I going to do??! }
Well...
Our daily routine is very structured and very organized. It has been since the day "the trips" were born and it is a MUST with multiples. From the time they wake up to the time they go to bed each day is organized. There is no choice for anything different, it's as simple as that. We have choices each day, and I choose to be organized, structured and have my "chicks in a row". It isn't easy. It's not for the weak. But it's what needs to be done. And it is what works for our family.
I never in a million years thought I would be the mother of triplets or the mother of Irish quads. Never. EVER. But...I am so glad I am. It is such a blessing and 15 months later, I could never imagine my life without these precious little ladies.
If you ask those who know me, they may say that I am a little type A and OCD, so this is not much of a surprise in the way our household is run. Many people have told me in the past year that I have it "all together" and wonder how I do it.
My answer is this: THERE IS SIMPLY NO CHOICE!
My husband and I swore we were never going to use "having multiples" as an excuse of why we couldn't or wouldn't do something. Simply, a choice.
This is what God intended my life to be and I am doing the best of my ability, each and every day. I will always try my hardest to be a good mother and provide the best opportunity for each of my children. At the end of the day, I sometimes wonder how I could have been a better mother that day and I always answer myself the same way: I tried my best and everyone went to bed with love and a smile on their face, so obviously I did something right. And to be honest, some days that is simply enough.
I look at my girls and I wonder why God chose me to be their mother. What I did to be so worthy of this wonderful experience of being a mother. And a mother to them none the less. When they smile, my heart melts. I was forever changed the minute I became a mother to each of them. They are my everything and for them, I give them my all.
There is, simply, no choice in that.
---------------------------
Now onto the questions that Ashley wanted me to answer....
One baby product you can't live without: GATES! Keeping my girls contained is SO important! They are constantly running in all different directions. After that I would say a sound machine and outdoor swings. Our girls LOVE to be outside and they LOVE to swing!
Photo of child's life thus far that best captures your little one's personality:
This pretty much sums it up...they are ALWAYS happy and full of energy. They make funny faces constantly and are always cracking us up with their babbling!
{ In order: Claire, Madelynn, Natalee }
And this sums up Emily...happy and laid back. She has been an easy baby from the beginning, and for that I praise God each day!
A piece of advice you wish you had about life before baby: Even when EVERYONE says they will help after your baby/babies is/are born, DO NOT count on it. It's up to you and your husband and no one else. I can't believe the people who said they would help me and my husband and no one did except my MIL and occasionally my parents. I never really expected help, but when so many people offered, I never turned down the offer, and when the babies came home from the hospital, no one was in sight. In a way I am glad it was just my hubby and I because we had to work as a team and now we are super-parents and can get much more done having four children than many do with just one. We are truly proud of ourselves. Everyone asks us if we have help, and I constantly shake my head and say no, it's just us day in and day out. And ya know what, I am proud of that.
One misconception you had about babies/children before having one: Hmmm, you THINK you know what motherhood is going to feel like, but honestly you have NO IDEA what that over-whelming feeling feels like until you have given birth to your baby/babies. You can't describe that motherly feeling, but it's completely undeniable and a love that is unimaginable. It's the most wonderful thing.
Another thing I would say is that I never thought multiples could possibly be easier than having a singleton, but I truly believe it now. The more I become friends with other moms of singletons, the more I see it. There are so many things that are in fact easier and I would have never imagined that could be the case with having more than one baby at the same time. The bond between my girls is indescribable and I love watching it develop more and more each day. They are so much more independent and socially advanced because of being a multiple and for that I am very happy.
Your must read book (besides the Bible): 12 Hours of Sleep in 12 Weeks or Charting Your Fertility...both books I loved!
Favorite quote: "Stress Less, Pray More" and "Dear Lord, Grant me the patience to endure my blessings." That pretty much sums up my life and it is my mantra day in and day out.
If time and money didn't matter... we would be living on a huge ranch somewhere out west with all of our family, lots of animals and beautiful open space. We would have a pool and eat great food all of the time (I love to cook and appreciate great food). We would have a beach house, a ski house, travel and explore all over the world. We would volunteer our time to help others and we would share God's grace as we did. We would help and give to others as much as we could too. Oh, and I would probably convince my husband that we could have a few more children and adopt some too.
Thank you everyone for reading. I hope you come check out our little blog! And thanks for having me Ashley! I hope you are having fun with your beautiful family!! Lots of love!
5 comments:
One of my favorite mommy bloggers!! Such a good post Holly! You constantly amaze me with all you do!
I love Holly and this post!!! As someone on the verge of Irish Twins myself, this was great! :) Holly, you are an inspiration!!
WOW!!! I am SO inspired...after having a child of my own I always say "I don't know moms of multiples or single parents do it!" The girls are beautiful...thanks so much for sharing your story:)
WOW 4 under 2!!!! So glad you shared here - your little ones are just precious!
I love this guest post! You are an amazing momma!
Post a Comment