I've been reading lots of posts lately about Jon Acuff and how his thoughts on social media have really affected the way many of my favorite mom bloggers think. There's the whole struggle of making, not forcing, memories (i.e. do we really need to take pictures of every single moment in our child's life, especially if the only thought running through our mind is "this would be great blog content!"). And then there's the time we spend reading, writing and responding to blog posts while a hungry toddler pulls on our legs (and we've all thought "up from your nap already?!?! I was just getting settled on the couch to catch up on blogs!") Of course, it's also hard to not play the keeping-up-with-the-mommy-blog-Joneses game ("Ugh, I want her kitchen" or "ugh, why does she get to stay home" or "ugh, her husband is so romantic"). This whole blogging thing is just so complicated sometimes.
There are lots of reasons why I personally choose to blog. I'd be lying if I said that there weren't moments where I probably should have been doing something other than blogging (cooking dinner, talking to the husband, cleaning the house - the list goes on), but for me, blogging is free therapy. And so much more.
I love documenting our family's life, and in an age where so much is digital, it's just easier to record milestones and random memories online. It's an easy way to keep friends and family members in the loop without constantly spamming them - if you want to know what Thatcher is up to, read the blog. If not, don't. Either way, the option is theirs.
But the real reason I come back to blogging again and again is for connectivity and friendship. More specifically, I think it's so important and therapeutic to realize that we're not alone in this life. We are not the only ones trying to figure out how to get our toddler to eat finger food or make the transition from bottle to sippy cup. We are not the only ones struggling with working or staying at home mom guilt or trying to make time for friends, our marriage and family all in one day. And, when we're facing something painful, we are not alone in that either. Whatever we're grappling with, someone else has walked that road before. The challenge is that we can't always find these people among our "real life" friends, which is why I think so many of us find solace in blogging.
This really hit me yesterday when I received an email from another blogger's husband. Without getting too specific, he said, "I would like to thank you for all the support you have given my wife ...... Your conversations with her about her recent misfortunes help her through these tough times. Our family is truly indebted to you and we appreciate your support." Wow.
I have often wondered what God would think about blogging. Does He think that sometimes we're too focused on the screen and not enough on our family? Does He want us to spend more time offline? Yesterday I decided that no, no He does not. He created blogging as another means of ministry, a way to connect with and support other human beings. Of course, I think there is a limit to this and we shouldn't be buried in our computers all the time. That said, I can truly say that I have received a lot of support, guidance and uplifting prayer from other bloggers. It has been an outlet for me when my day-to-day friends were in a totally different place than me. Friendship is sacred to me, and I value every single one of my friends for who they are and where they are in life. But the reality is that sometimes we're walking a road or thinking about something that no one we know can relate to. And I think that's where blogging can be a really beautiful and wonderful thing.
I was humbled by the email I received yesterday, and it was almost as if I felt like blogging had a much bigger purpose. A piece of scripture I sent to another blogger prompted a response from her husband. To me, that is reason enough to continue to spend time blogging.
19 comments:
Oh my goodness, this is so well said. Seriously, you just reaffirmed why I blog!
PS - Don't you love Nola Tots!
I couldn't agree more! I totally think it's free therapy! It's true- that through blogging, I've found friends that I otherwise wouldn't have that know about things that my "real life" friends may not know about, etc. and it really does help! You said this really well! :)
I need go enter your giveaway! LOL
This has to be one of my favorite posts of all time. Well said, and I agree completely. Fairly certain I wouldn't have made it through my pregnancy and Preston's surgery and the first year of motherhood without the support of my mommy blogger friends.
This post is so true and honest! I love it. I think blogging is a great outlet- free therapy, friends, and a place to document our lives. I think it is a really womderful thing! We are here to help each other and lift each other up- in any way. Thanks for posting this!
Great post. I completely agree with you. I think it's just everything in moderation.
I am so glad I found you in bloggy world....and you are so right it's nice to know there are others that are going through the same things we are. It's so nice to have supportive people out there!
Love this post! So true and is is so nice to have friends through the blog world even though you may never meet in person, you still are given support and friendship! :)
Amen! If not for the community I wouldn't still blog. Sure it's fun to talk about fashion, family, football, etc., but the supportive, encouraging friends (like you!) that I've encountered keep me coming back. So beautifully written!
This is so beautifully said. I cannot imagine how moving that email from her husband must have been. I probably would've started sobbing. The way this community connects us is simply amazing and I love each day of it! Posts like this keep me believing that even with the pros and cons of the blog world, it's all still worth the time and effort!
I spend so much time thinking that sometimes blogging is just too much, but then I get an email or a tweet or a comment and I remember why I love it. To me everything is about balance - something I currently don't have, but am working on.
Amazing post!!!!
I can really relate to this post, thanks for posting! I know that regardless of if I blog, I would take pics ALL.THE.TIME, HAHA. I love looking back to a certain time to see what we were doing, It's like my digital scrapbook =)
I've been twirling the "why I blog" post around in my head for a while now. It's mostly not written because I want it to sound just right. Yours does!
What a great depiction of support and friendship. Thanks for sharing!
This is SO SO amazing. Love it. I agree, I blog to remember things, but the reason I have stayed blogging is the community. It's inspiring and supportive...like having a million best friends at your fingertips.
What a wonderful post. :) I've been reading some of the Jon Acuff stuff lately from bloggers who've recently returned from Blissdom. I guess I feel like I'm in a lucky position, b/c I love blogging and all the connections I've made from it, and of course it's fun when I've gotten to see my blog grow, but I don't really care if my blog ever gets huge, and my goal isn't to get 10,000 followers. I know that would require a whole different approach, and I like the personal control I have over my humble little blog. :)
So incredible that you've been able to help someone else out so much. I suspect I know what you're talking about, and I can imagine how important solidarity and friendship is in that situation.
<3
I've missed you on my sickness-induced blogging break!
I do think about the moments that I miss some times by blogging. The time I could be spending talking to my husband instead of reading blogs but it does add to my life so maybe its a wash?!
Great post--blogging is a funny thing. It can force us to play the comparison game and at times feel that whatever we have is not enough--but at the same time it provides such an incredible support network and also a way to realize how good we have it! I have found myself feeling more grateful for the life I lead since I began blogging because recording my day to day activities causes me to reflect on them more and realize how lucky I am!
I follow Jon Acuff and the likes on twitter and I appreciate a lot of the things he shares. As with all things, there are limitations. My mentor always challenges me to ask one question every time I'm about to do something, e.g. blog, status update on fb, tweet, etc. "is this glorifying to God?" Is what I'm about to do and say going to glorify Him and bless others? It's tough. I get caught in a lot of my own things too like running or crocheting or even just twitter. I may even get caught up in reading a really good christian book and forget to read THE book (Bible), you know? It's always good to check our accountability each and every day. Dying to self daily. great post. :)
I completely agree with your reasons for blogging - they are my reasons too!
Post a Comment