March 14, 2012

the birthday circuit

We've spent the past month on what I've affectionately been calling the birthday circuit. All of Thatcher's first friends made it to their 1st birthdays with their parents' marriages and sanity barely perfectly in tact! I've talked before about the importance of close mom friends, and it was such an amazing blessing to be on maternity leave with these babies. After we all went back to work, we stayed committed to play dates and supporting each other. Our conversations range from "what sippy cups work well" to "I am going to hit my husband on the head with a frying pan if he {insert annoying behavior} one more time," and I just feel so grateful that these little ones and their amazing mothers have made an indelible mark on Thatcher's first year.

First we celebrated Lillian, Thatcher's very first friend (they met when Thatcher was 3 days old), and Thatcher still sleeps with the lamb that Lillian gave him. The wine her mother gave me was gone that evening. Anyway, Thatcher and Lillian are now in school together and they love each other. Their little faces light up when they see one another, and I hope that never changes! Lillian is 8 days older than Thatcher, and she had a fabulous jungle party in early February.


Then it was the Thatcher Gator's turn. He was a cranky mess for his birthday because it was a few days after his surgeries and he had an ear infection, but we had fun nonetheless!


And then it was time for Sofie's Seuss Soiree. Sofie has so much personality, and she's just a riot. She's full of energy and determination, and I can tell you that she's going places. She's spunky in a way that just makes my heart so happy.


The very next weekend Bert's mom threw an adorable "Hot Dog! Bert is 1" barbecue for his birthday. Bert is literally Thatcher's only guy friend. For some reason we are surrounded by little girls, so Bert and Thatcher have a lot of women to keep happy! Bert's mom gets major credit for ALWAYS following through on Pinterest crafts.







The day after Bert's party, we all celebrated Louise with a crawfish boil. All of the babies had a blast toddling around outside in the sun, and I love nothing more than a sticky sunscreen baby. Their red cheeks and sweaty hairlines are just perfect.




It is truly amazing how far they have all come, and we are looking forward to many more birthdays, playdates and milestones together!

12 comments:

I'maNolaGirl said...

Oh my goodness! That last picture is the sweetest thing! I love that you got to enjoy your maternity leave with your friends. These birthday parties make me have to remind myself not to wish too much of Jane's first year away. I cannot wait to throw one for her!!

Friendship is such a wonderful thing to celebrate. I'm glad Thatcher gets to start young!!

Andie said...

so so cute. I love that. We have friends who went into labor with their little girl, Kate, when I was being discharged from the hospital with Andrew... it's so wild when people are all pregnant around the same time and then you have all of these birthday parties around the same time.

Love that last picture. He will certainly have lots of good friends to grow up with! :)

Elizabeth said...

LOVE all the pictures!! That last picture is sooo sweet!! It's so good to see how much they've all grown.

Kat said...

The 4 of them when they are so small is the most adorable picture. Happy 1st bday to all the kiddies!

[darci @ the good life] said...

I loved this post - so neat to see all of them together in that last photo!! Crazy, amazing times the first year is, right?! Most days I wish I could repeat this year over and over again and then others I decide I'm ready for toddlerhood. We'll see!

And I could NOT agree more about the need for friends who have babes / kids close in age to your own. We do as well and it has been so much fun!

Happy first year to all of those precious babes!

Natalie said...

Wow this is awesome that you have so many friends with children so close in age. They will have a blast growing up together!

Claire Kiefer said...

I am squealing at that last picture!!! All of your posts, pretty much, make me want to move back to New Orleans. I saw a guy in a Saints sweatshirt at the grocery store yesterday and I got SO excited . . . if he hadn't looked kinda like a crackhead, I would have approached him. What cute babies and birthdays! I'm still pretty obsessed with Thatcher's crawfish outfit. hahaha!

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in to say hi! Looks like an awesome birthday!

Cajun Cowgirl said...

FUN! I think Louise is my favorite---there were crawfish after all. Nah, T surely wins the prize since I "know" him and all. :)


Happy Thursday!

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

These parties look like they were so much fun and each little babe is just too cute for words. I'm so glad that you have a group of mothers that surround and support you. I really hope that I am that blessed whenever I have a little one.

BTW-how did you find that group? Through church? A meet-up group?

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

The post is baby eye candy for me....I just love 'em!

Anonymous said...

That last picture is priceless. May they all be best friends for many moons!