March 15, 2011

Sip N See

{Disclaimer: I finally decided that the ONLY way I'd learn to use my camera is if I just started taking pictures with it in manual. I have a book that I need to read to learn more, and I want to take a class which I am currently researching. All of these pictures were taken in manual - any of you photographers out there can feel free to offer advice because I find that I am not great yet at noticing subtle differences in color/light, etc!}

My sweet mom hosted a Sip N See this afternoon at her house to introduce her friends to Thatcher and we had a blast! We are truly so thankful and happy to be surrounded by so many people who are excited for us. We have been spoiled beyond belief.

Here we are trying to get Thatcher full and happy before the party begins! The boy can eat - I had already nursed him but he wanted more. Thank goodness for pumps.


Here he is all dressed and ready to go! I hate that he's laying on a burp cloth, but he has some...shall we say...digestive issues...so we were trying to keep him cute for our visitors!


We ordered personalized cookies from our "cookie lady" - totally adorable!



My mom had two gorgeous arrangements which made the house smell wonderful as well.


What's a party without personalized napkins? We intentionally left the date off so that these could be re-purposed. I will absolutely use these after his baptism because we have tons leftover. Blame it on an over-eager grandmother celebrating her first grandchild. Heck, we may even have some left when he graduates from high school!


Here is the drink area with red wine, white wine, homemade iced tea and champagne and OJ for mimosas. I know it's sort of bizarre to have alcohol in the middle of the day in the middle of the week, but that is pretty normal in New Orleans (and maybe other places, too?!?!?) Some people find it really weird to serve alcohol at events like this...I am used to it but just had to put that out there - would be curious to hear what others think!


Since the Sip N See was a "drop by at your leisure" party, we had very light food. We set out a cheese plate from St. James Cheese (delicious and also the location of Thatcher's first lunch date!), cookies and my mom's famous clam dip.


Another shot of the guest of honor!


And his precious girlfriend, Lillian in her party dress!


Once guests started arriving I really didn't have time or remember to take pictures, but here is one shot I got of a long-time family friend (who has 10+ grandchildren of her own!) holding Thatcher. She goes by Mimi and has decided that she would be GG Mimi (Great Grandmother Mimi) for Thatcher's generation - too cute! She is a riot: in the middle of holding him she said in her southern drawl "oh he is playing me a toooone in his diaper!"


Of course we had party favors set out for everyone to take. It was 2 pieces of chocolate from an amazing candy store here, Sucre.


I made tags at home and bought blue ribbon to finish them off - they were a hit! The tags were impossible to photograph (at least for me), so this was the best I could get.



We had a wonderful afternoon and are hoping Thatcher is so exhausted that he will sleep well!

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Everything was just too cute!!

Anonymous said...

I had NEVER heard of a Sip N See until the Real Housewives of Atlanta. LOL! Must be a southern thing? As for the alcohol--I think it would be weird if there WASN'T a cocktail available to "sip" on. I've been to two events before (both wedding related) where there wasn't alcohol and I swear I almost died. Haha.

Your photo skills look great! For me, so much of shooting in manual is for the purpose of editing later. You have so much more flexibility in your editing when you shoot in manual and in RAW. Of course, the editing (at least to me) is the hardest part.

Megan Ashley said...

Thatcher is adorable! What a fun way to get everyone there to meet him!

How far from the object/person are you standing and what are you shooting at? You want to have the camera set at about 60 in most cases. Your pictures look good! There is always chances to change what you shot with different editing programs, however it is easier to just make sure you have some good manual settings that you are familiar with in order to eliminate the work of editing later.

melissa said...

What a beautiful Sip N See! Everything was gorgeous - so many sweet touches. I loved the napkins and cookies! And while I've never been to a Sip N See (had never heard of them until I started blogging) I would never think it strange to attend an event with alcohol! :) It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

As for the pictures, I think you're doing wonderfully. I just took an 8 week course and I have NEVER shot in manual - nor do I think I could. I shoot in Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority (AV and TV if you have a Canon, AV and S on Nikons I think.) It makes it so much easier to only concentrate on aperture or shutter speed and allow the camera to set the other. It might be too basic for you, but I find it really helpful to use these settings. The Pioneer Woman has a great, super simple four part series on her blog called "What the heck is aperture?" which I thought was great too.

Elizabeth said...

Love this! :) Thatcher is just precious as can be..! ...and so is his girlfriend! :) lol

Shannon said...

What a pretty sip n see! And I still just love his name! We call Westin "Dubs" some times too. Or "Dubs T" because his middle name is Tanner. TOO funny!