March 14, 2011

How did you get so big so soon (aka 1 month 4 days)

I am determined to do monthly posts for T Dubs so I can remember all of the little details that are bound to fade over time but because his actual one month birthday was not a great day and because the monthly onesie things I ordered had not come in yet, I didn't get around to it on March 10. So this is the 1 month, 4 day update!

Here is Thatcher the morning of his one month birthday wearing a cute outfit from his aunt and uncle in Dallas. We had a busy day that day!


We took our first trip to Target together (aka mom's home away from home!) If we time it correctly, Thatcher is super cooperative and will just sleep through my errands. I was able to pick up a bunch of things I needed and check out before he woke up in the parking lot (seems like a small thing to get through one errand but I have learned that this is a major accomplishment!). Thankfully I had a bottle and was able to avoid breastfeeding in the back seat of my car in the Target parking lot (though I may or may not have fed him in the back seat on one previous occasion - desperate times call for desperate measures!). He polished off a bottle and on our way we went!


Unfortunately, his one month birthday went a tad downhill from there. Here is our precious son on his actual birthday crying his poor little lungs out (just so that you all don't pin the worst mother ever award on me yet, he was not crying when I put him down!)

Sweet son, we are just as sad about you already being a month old!


The next morning he was in a pretty good mood so I was able to get one cute picture before he spit up everywhere. Note to self: putting newborns on your brand new Restoration Hardware bedding is asking for trouble. C'est la vie. This is right before we headed out for the one month check-up!


At one month, here are some things I want to remember (sorry if this is totally boring but I came up with a list of things I thought I'd want to have for posterity's sake!)

Size: 21 inches (10-25%) and 8 pounds, 10 ounces (25%)

Doctor says: You have gained one pound since the 5 day visit (and grown 1 inch - how is that possible???), so we need to pick up the pace just a little on the weight gain! This is likely due to the spit up troubles we've been having, but we'll keep an eye on it. Overall you are a healthy boy for which we are thankful!

Favorite activities (Thatcher): You love bath time (as evidenced below) and enjoy tummy time if you aren't overly tired. You happily take a pacifier and fall asleep almost every time we get in the car (we've considered letting you spend the night in that thing!) You will play alone on your playmat for a few minutes but generally want us right there with you. You will also stare at the ceiling for 5-10 minutes which is enough to let me get a load of laundry going (small victory!) but then you usually remember that you're alone and make a noise to remind us you're there. You LOVE to eat and generally will go between mom and bottle pretty easily...but you also reject the bottle sometimes if it's coming from mom (you are a smart one!)

Favorite activities (mom and dad): We've been getting a ton of use out of the Bob stroller (which I highly recommend, by the way). We started with short walks when you were 1-2 weeks old and are up to 1-2 hour walks when the weather is perfect! We take walks to Audubon Park and sometimes all the way to Pure, which is a delicious frozen yogurt place. We've also been watching a lot of movies - some better than others! Speaking of, this weekend we watched The Town and Due Date - finally some good flicks! Mom takes you to lunch with your grandmother or friends quite a bit (Lindsay and Lillian are our biggest lunch buddies these days, but we expect the group to grow soon), and mom and dad had their first date without you on Saturday, March 12. It was fun to get away for a bit, but we missed you! Mom loves to watch The Today Show and Ellen when we're home - dad doesn't want you to, but he's not here to man the remote!

What's going on in the world: This past weekend there was an historic and devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan that has been horrendous to watch. Right now the death toll is estimated around 2,000 but sadly I think it will rise. Towns have just been wiped out and cars/debris are floating everywhere. I hope that you grow up to be compassionate and service-minded so that you will want to help others when they are in need. Last Tuesday was Mardi Gras in New Orleans, a holiday you will grow to love. Mom is excited about the Royal Wedding coming up in April, and the NFL players are currently locked out from playing the 2011 season. We are really sad about this because all we do as a family on Sundays is watch football. Dad has so been looking forward to doing that with you! Plus, you have like 34 Saints outfits that need wearing!

Nicknames: You have many but the most frequently used are: T Dubs, buddy, friend, sweet boy, dude and doodie. I promise to eliminate the last one from my vocab soon. Maybe by 2nd grade?

Milestones: You rolled from tummy to back for the first time on February 15 at a whopping 5 days old. You've done it several times since, too!

Firsts: The entire month was really one big first! Your first breath, cry, bottle, tear...the list goes on! You went to your first Mardi Gras, your first lunch, your first doctor's visit and on your first walk!

What we're looking forward to: Tomorrow is your Sip N See at one grandmother's house (she still hasn't picked her name - she may wait to let you do that!). We are excited to take you on your first trip to the beach for Easter - we spend a lot of time at your grandparents' beach house and can't wait to have a water baby! We are also looking forward to your baptism in May. You also have lots of friends to meet in the coming months!

Random nonsense no one probably cares about: We think you're about done with Newborn diapers - breaks my heart. You are absolutely precious when you wake up in the middle of the night - so calm and ready to snuggle. Your eyes are still a gorgeous blue and everyone is praying they stay! We still can't tell who you look like but the eyes are from mom and the dark hair is definitely dad. Your hands, feet and lips are all mom - so you're a hybrid baby thus far! You totally love The Happiest Baby techniques and being swaddled. And praise the inventor of the Sleep Sheep.

Thatcher loves bathtime - you get one every night before bed because it calms you down.


Here we are at Pure enjoying some frozen yogurt and gorgeous weather.


Enjoying your first Mardi Gras at Thoth on Sunday, March 6.



We love you so much and can't imagine life without you!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Aww, it seems like just yesterday Jackson was this age! Love that alligator onesie!

Mel said...

He is just perfect in every way!

Newlywed Hostess said...

Precious! He is getting so big!

Pineapples and Pickles said...

Love his outfits! Isn't that boppy fabulous? I can't tell you how many times I've had to pull over, jump in the backseat, and whip out a bottle. Glad to know I'm not the only mom doing this in the parking lot.

Unknown said...

We are having spit up problems too! Amy advice?