December 8, 2011

Things to make your heart happy

It is so easy to get wrapped up in all of the craziness of the holidays. Have I wrapped all the gifts? Did I forget anyone? Are the holiday cards selected, ordered, addressed, stamped and mailed? Should I bake cookies for neighbors? What about the husband's co-workers? Is the tree chosen and decorated? Where are we going on Christmas Eve? Christmas? New Year's? Ahhhh - what resolutions should I pick for next year? Oh my gosh, it's almost 2012 - where does the time go? I better get busy! If you're like me, your mind can literally race with the obligations and details of the season.

It's exceedingly difficult to stop and just be. To enjoy the small pleasures and actually create memories versus trying to capture them on film (guilty as charged). To be thankful for what is versus upset at what isn't. To be faithful that whatever wish is on your heart will come true but also faithful that if it doesn't, you will still be okay. We're all struggling with something, and we all think the grass is greener. But is it? Most of the time someone else's yard just has a different set of problems to replace the ones we have. And a lot of times I wonder if I'd really want an unknown set of problems versus the ones I am facing. Probably not.

I wanted to share a couple of ways I've been forcing myself to be more present this holiday season.

Christmas Lullabies
Who doesn't love Christmas music? And snuggling with children? I found this album on iTunes, and it is simply beautiful. I added it to Thatcher's lullaby playlist and could literally sit and listen to the entire thing with him asleep on my shoulder. Yes, dinner needs to be cooked and the dishes need to be put away, but I won't have a baby for much longer either.


The Journey Daily Devotional
Our Church introduced us to this four week devotional, and it is wonderful for preparing for the holiday season. Each chapter is just a few short pages, which is totally manageable at the end of a long day. It follows the story of Mary, Joseph and Jesus and proposes ways to consider the season from a new perspective. It pushes you to remember that Christmas is not, in fact, YOUR birthday and that there are many things we can learn from the annunciation that are applicable today. It's totally not too late to get caught up; I highly recommend this devotional (and there is a longer version with more history if you have time).


Keeping Faith Front and Center
I stumbled across this amazing story via another blog, and it is well worth the 10 minutes it will take you to read. Whatever you're struggling with, this will give you a renewed sense of hope that there is a purpose for it. And it's not necessarily what you'd expect. Read it and let me know what you think.

Give, give, giving
I know that it's really tempting to buy 1,000 presents for your family, friends and little ones in your life, but I've been really struck this year by remembering that we truly have everything we need. One more toy or purse or gadget isn't going to make us happier or more fulfilled. I am not perfect; I've already bought presents and wrapped them and I very much have participated in the indulgent part of the season. But I've also been trying to find opportunities to give. They are absolutely everywhere, and not all of them cost money (though admittedly some do).

I love the series that Sam at Fitness, Food and Faith did on giving gifts that actually contribute to bigger causes (there is a post on gifts for little ones, women and men). Consider going through your pantry and donating all of the random canned goods you have (admit it - you're not going to use those green beans).

Or what about sending a get well card to a sick child through Make A Child Smile? I can hardly imagine spending the holidays in the hospital with a sick child, and receiving mail is a small way to brighten their day.


What are you doing this year to stay focused? I'd love to hear other ideas as well!

3 comments:

the workaholic momma said...

Oh goodness...you are SO right! I can often times find myself caught in the trivial worries of my own life and forget that my very very worst day would be somebody else's best day. And you're right...giving is much better than receiving!!!

Happy holidays to you:)

Sam W. said...

thanks so much for the mention!! i'm also trying to just slow down and appreciate the season.

have a great weekend!

Megan said...

I adore this post!! It has really been on my heart for this Christmas to give more to others instead of buying really expensive gifts for all of the family. You are right...we really have ALL that we need.