December 20, 2011

Songs for Frazier / best baby gift EVER!

I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I cannot. One of my amazing co-workers wrote to all of us a few weeks ago asking us for our favorite lullaby / baby appropriate song. She then downloaded them all as a playlist as a gift for baby Frazier (how cool is that name, by the way?) and when she was done, she promised to share the list. I love how naturally eclectic it is, reflecting a variety of tastes. And, I love, love, love the thought and sentiment behind each song (this is reflected in italics where relevant).

I would have been floored to have received this as a gift. It's creative, useful, thoughtful and original. If you were really on top of it, it'd also be an amazing baby shower favor so that all of the guests walked away with the same compilation.

This makes my heart so happy - enjoy!

Cielito Lindo / Mariachi Nuevo Tecalitlan / Mexico Y Su Mariachi

Sleep Softly Precious Boy / Ingrid DuMosch / My Sweet Little Boy - Lullabies and Bedtime Songs Especially for Boys
I just love the lyrics, and Thatcher listens to it nightly. Best time of the day.

My Sweet Little Boy / Ingrid DuMosch / My Sweet Little Boy - Lullabies and Bedtime Songs Especially for Boys

VCR / The XX / XX
When my husband had a scary heart surgery a couple years ago and I wasn’t able to stay with him overnight, this song put me to sleep for a few hours on a very uncomfortable hospital waiting room couch. Whenever I hear it now, it reminds me of finding peace in the middle of the night and loving someone deeply...definitely a personal lullaby!

Happy Birthday / Stevie Wonder / Hotter than July
A classic in the Lxxxx household from the day we brought these kiddies into the world.

Birthday / The Beatles / The White Album

Somewhere Over the Rainbow / Judy Garland / The Wizard of Oz Soundtrack

All Together Now / The Beatles / Yellow Submarine Soundtrack
Helps kids learn letters, numbers, and colors and still makes me smile when I hear it. My brother and I also loved "Yellow Submarine" and "Octopus's Garden" when we were kids.

I Will / The Beatles / The White Album
Just a sweet song!

Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel) / Billy Joel / River of Dreams
I've always thought it’s a really pretty lullaby that would be soothing for little ones and because my mother and I used to sing it together in the car…so it brings me comforting memories of time with my mother…just as I know Terra and her son will have many such moments.

Kokomo / The Beach Boys / Sounds of Summer

Brahms' Lullaby / Celine Dion / These Are Special Times

Baby / Dave Matthews / Some Devil
It’s a great little lullaby song with the message that anything is possible and you can do whatever you put your mind to.

Leaving on a Jet Plane / Peter, Paul and Mary / The Very Best of Peter, Paul and Mary
One of my favorite songs that my mom used to sing to me (she loves PPM).

Dancing in the Street / Martha and the Vandellas / Dancing in the Streets - The Very Best of Martha Reeves
Not quite a lullaby, but a fun song, and I have great memories of my whole family dancing around the house to it.

You and Me / Frances England
Because it always makes me feel warm and fuzzy about my kiddos!

Sing / The Carpenters / Now & Then
I remember that as the first song I learned to sing in school when I was really, really little. And for years, I believed that when it was played on the radio it was me and my friends from preschool. You can hear me in the La-la-la, la-la-la, la, la,la, la-la, la … part.

It's Alright To Cry / Rosy Grier / Free to Be You and Me
There is something about a gigantic man singing that I love. Free To Be You and Me full album rocks--"Atalanta" and "William's Doll" are also recommended.

Alligators all Around / Carole King / Really Rosie
 Pierre / Carole King / Really Rosie

Let Them Be Little / Billy Dean / Let Them Be Little
It is a sweet song that talks about letting your child be little while they can before they grow up. It is an awesome song! It talks about giving them hope, praise, love everyday as they are growing up!

Hallelujah / Jeff Buckley / Grace
It is beautiful song and what else can one say when a baby is born?

Isn't She Lovely / Stevie Wonder / Songs in the Key of Life
For Mary-Michael

I and Love and You / The Avett Brothers / I and Love and You
Beautiful song. My husband sings it to our daughters. It’s very sweet.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What A Wonderful World / Israel “IZ” Kamakawiwo’ole / Facing Future
One of my all time favorite songs to relax to and recharge after a long day.

Puff the Magic Dragon / Peter, Paul and Mary / Moving
My all-time favorite song from my childhood.

You Are My Sunshine / Elizabeth Mitchell / You Are My Sunshine
My mother used to sing this song to me every day. I can still picture her singing it and remember how happy it made me feel.

Light Today / Eddie Vedder / Ukulele Songs
So I am a huge Pearl Jam/grunge music fan, which isn’t always so baby friendly. Right before Felicity was born, Eddie Vedder (lead singer of Pearl Jam) came out with an awesome CD of quiet, ukulele music which Felicity LOVED. I would play it when she cried and when I was rocking her and it usually calmed her down. This song actually has ocean sounds in the background which was also helpful.

Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) / John Lennon / Double Fantasy
When I see babies, especially baby boys, I always think of John Lennon’s Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy). I am a horrible singer, but when I am holding a baby I always want to sing the song.

When You Dream / Barenaked Ladies / Stunt
I loved this song growing up, and it’s a lovely little treasure of a lullaby.

Three Little Birds / Bob Marley / Legend
Easy, calm, positive...a good baby groove.

Blue Monk / Thelonious Monk / Monk's Blues
For some reason, it always makes me think of babies crawling. Perhaps Terra could play it when the little one is on the move and exploring the house.

7 comments:

Pineapples and Pickles said...

Great list! Thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

Such a sweet idea! I'll be saving this list for future reference.

Erin
erin--elizabeth.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

This is a great list of songs!

Kat said...

That is such a sweet gift! And so thoughtful and personal! I love gifts like that. And I love the list of songs!

Sam W. said...

what a sweet, thoughtful idea. i'm saving this post as an idea for future showers!

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

What a fabulous idea!!

Natalie said...

Awww this is a great idea! I need to keep this in mind when I go to my next baby shower!