July 18, 2011

30 is the new 21

Saturday night was the big soiree for my 30th birthday, and we had such a blast! A lot of our friends have little ones at home, so it was great to have everyone out together since that rarely happens these days. Some of our friends who don't yet have children were just laughing at us because we were all taking full advantage of being out. It was the second time we left Thatcher with a non-family babysitter, and it went great again. I love having family close by, but it's also nice to have the freedom, so to speak, of doing things on our own! I think 5 months is a great age to test a "real" babysitter and am glad we've found a reliable one.

We had the party at St. James Cheese Company, which is a really cool cheese shop that also serves lunch. Many of the restaurants here in New Orleans buy their cheese from St. James, so they have a ton of fun varieties and things you'd never necessarily try on your own. We started with charcuterie plates and champagne and then moved into the six course tasting. Each cheese was paired with a wine, and all were truly delicious. We ended the evening with cupcakes from my favorite place, Pralines by Jean.

With the husband aka party planner (he did a great job!)


With the husband and brother before the party started


Yum, yum and more yum. I especially liked the Vino Verde, Viogner and Chiarlo

Mingling at the beginning of the party

Friends from the husband's MBA program (he graduated last year)

Mary, Mimi and Nick (Mary and Nick are getting married next year on the same day the husband and I did!)

Charcuterie!

The 6 delicious cheeses

With Lydia, my oldest childhood friend. We met in 1990 - 20 years of trouble making and still going strong!








I had to include this one! With 4 hours of sleep, we were exhausted on Sunday!
It was such a fun way to celebrate 30 years of fabulous me (ha!), and I had such a great time. Monday is getting off to a very slow start around these parts because Thatcher's school is closed due to heavy rain. We may or may not still be in our pajamas!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

So glad you had a great time with friends...and also some adult time! Happy birthday!

Sam W. said...

happy birthday!! what a party. the food sounds delish :)

the workaholic momma said...

aaww - looks like a wonderful time!! Happy birthday - those cupcakes look amazing:)

melissa said...

Wine and cheese - what an awesome idea. Sounds heavenly. And the cupcakes looked like the perfect ending. Glad your 30th was so wonderful!

The Southland Life said...

seriously, that looks like the best birthday ever!

Kat said...

happy birthday (belated...sorry) and I'm so glad you had a good time! It looks amazing. We haven't left P with a non-family babysitter yet...I'm terrified but I guess we'll have to do it at some point.