In all reality, if I didn't work, I would likely fill my days with volunteering and projects, as I am only happy when I am busy. Not to mention, the above scenario doesn't really work with a baby at home.
I actually love working and would likely choose to work regardless of what our financial situation was or wasn't. I thrive on the adult interaction, and I enjoy contributing to our house in that way. The husband can't say quite as much about my pension for pedicures or smocked clothes addiction when I work, right? College-schmoledge, we shall save for that next week! (He may or may not be signing me up for Smocked Clothes Anonymous...)
Don't get me wrong, being a working mom is very hard at times. There's the guilt (has anyone else noticed that every post on every topic having to do with parenthood involves some sort of guilt?) and the constant worry about whether anyone else can take care of your child as well as you can. There's the feeling torn in 10,000 directions and feeling stretched too thin. But at the end of the day, the satisfaction and confidence that I get from working outweighs all of that, and I truly believe I am a happier person and better mother because I work. Which is a very personal decision.
Since I choose not to be a lady of leisure (ha! staying at home with children is anything but leisurely), I choose to be a lady who lunches to celebrate milestones at work. Last week I took our team out to Coquette, which is a fabulous restaurant. All of the food was ridiculously good. We tasted shrimp, fried oysters, beet salad, beignets, skirt steak and more. We practically had to be rolled out of there.








4 comments:
I am drooling--it all looks so delicious and pretty! I love your heartfelt description of choosing to work--go you!
I have been dying to go here and now seeing these pictures makes me want to squash our "beer can chicken" dinner and here there instead!
JenBa (www.imanolagirl.blogspot.com)
I have a restaurant.com gift certificate for there that I bought like 2 years ago and I really have wanted to try it out and now that really makes me want to go. I wonder if I could get the husband over there this weekend?
I already want to go to Magazine St. during the day! LOL
looks awesome. I struggle with working mommy guilt every single day but at the end of the day, a happy mommy makes a happy baby so don't feel guilty! :)
Post a Comment