September 20, 2012

School days

Last night the husband and I attended parents' night at Thatcher's school. I have to admit, it was so awkward to me at first - I had this moment of "is this really my life?!?" I mean, I am 31. We've been married for 5 years. We are clearly "old enough" to have children. But it was just so surreal to be at a function with other parents in a school setting. I'm used to going to cocktail parties and dinner with friends, but parents' night? It's like a whole new level of socializing that I wasn't prepared for. Has anyone else had this experience? I felt like I was a kid playing dress up or something!

Thatcher's school is wonderful, though, and we absolutely love his teachers. I will admit that the transition from the baby room was a little challenging at first, mostly because of the changes that came with it. But now? We are loving it. And Thatcher has so much fun with his friends. It inspired me to take a few pictures this morning to remember this stage of the schooling journey, where school is all about fun with friends and painting and snacktime. Don't get me wrong - they are learning, too - but there's not yet the pressure of test scores and homework and sporting events. At this point, it is pure fun!


On a separate note, how darling is his shirt? A local mom here in New Orleans makes them (her boutique Nolafionnah is PRECIOUS). In full disclosure, she gave it to me to promote via New Orleans Moms Blog, but I had to share because her designs are truly original and different than any of the other monogrammed and applique vendors I've seen before. Her shirts and one pieces have a lot of texture and dimension to them, and Thatcher was so excited to wear his "boat water" today (he calls boats "boat water" for some unknown reason!) And if you have a girl? Watch out because Jessica makes dresses that are seriously to die for.


Photobucket

14 comments:

Natalie said...

That would be surreal to me too! Is it me or does Thatcher look all grown up in these pics?

Sarah said...

Adorable!

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

I hear ya on feeling like you are playing pretend. I wonder if that feeling EVER goes away? Also, Thatcher looks SO grown up in these pics.

Holly said...

SO cute! I LOVE that shirt on your sweet big boy! I will have to check out her designs for my little ladies!

Claire Kiefer said...

Goodness he is so cute. I love his little stance. :) Can't wait to see him as a big brother!

Erin said...

I hate totally had that moment! I mean clearly we're parents but then activities like a aren't meeting occur and it's like wait, what?! Haha

Oh and thatcher has got to be the best dressed little guy in his class!

Jen Watts said...

Look at your little man all grown up! And you're right- tat shirt is too cute!

Elizabeth said...

Love his little outfit!!

It still feels surreal to me that I am buying little clothes and that I have the pediatrician's number memorized. I can just imagine when she starts "school."

Sarah @ Vol Family Life said...

We haven't had parent's night yet -- but sometimes I have those moments when I'm like "woah. I'm the mom who does all these things my mom did for me!" It is totally surreal!

Megan said...

Thatcher looks so grown up! And that smile is amazing!

Megan said...

Thatcher looks so grown up! And the smile is amazing!

Joanna said...

loving your blog!

happy weekend :)
http://joanna-dan.blogspot.com/

Cajun Cowgirl said...

I love these pictures. Such a big boy! Yea, some days I question who let us do this parenting thing so soon in life!??!

Kat said...

love his shirt and his shorts! He is such a little kid now. We haven't had to attend any parent nights yet but I'm looking forward to Halloween at her daycare this year!