A friend connected him with an opportunity in Phoenix, and I agreed to relocate without ever stepping foot in the state of Arizona. Like I said, we were young. This sounded like a fun adventure to me, and I was just relieved he found something that he was excited about. That spring, before we got married, we went out to Arizona to apartment hunt. At which point I almost freaked out because I had no idea how big Phoenix was and I am a small city girl!
I often forget that we even lived in Arizona - it's like the lost episode of our lives. But when I think about the year we spent there, we really had a blast and made the most of it.
Soon after I moved out there, the husband surprised me with a weekend getaway to Sedona (famous for the red rocks) for my 26th birthday. We took a pink jeep tour, hiked and ate and drank the trip away.
In August, my family came to visit. My parents actually left my brother with us for a few days while they met friends in Utah. We basically sat by the pool, drank and took my brother to a Diamondbacks game for his birthday.
For Labor Day we got the grand idea to drive to Las Vegas. The husband had never been, and we figured why not? It was a quick 4-5 hour drive, and we decided to go for it.
Sometime around this point my sadness set in. I really missed Tampa and all the friends we had made. I was excited for the new adventure, but I just missed our old life. The husband actually did probably the most romantic / thoughtful thing he's done over the course of our 5 year marriage and flew my best friend Lauren out to visit. We had such a blast that weekend, and it was just the thing I needed to get me through the fall.
Because it was so expensive to fly back to New Orleans for the holidays and the husband was traveling weekly for this job (a main reason we left), we actually spent our first Thanksgiving alone. It was really nice, and you bet I insisted that the husband unpack the china for the occasion. We may have lived in an apartment, but we were celebrating with a formal affair! I made everything my mom serves, and it was entirely too much food. That weekend we also went to the USC / Arizona State football game.
For New Year's Eve, we treated ourselves to a night at a resort in town and enjoyed a fun dinner together. One of the hardest parts of the year in Arizona was that the husband was literally gone all week every week, so we took advantage of any down time we got.
We also celebrated our 1 year anniversary in Arizona with a weekend getaway to the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff. In hindsight, it is like God knew we'd only be there for a year because I think we hit every major attraction in Arizona while we were out there!
When we weren't traveling within Arizona, we were flying all over the country for weddings. We had weddings in Louisville, Dallas, Tampa and Amelia Island that year, two of which I stood in. And a trip to Fort Worth for my brother in law's graduation. Basically we lived out of suitcases. I remember vividly at my brother in law's college graduation that I was hoping he'd marry his girlfriend, and now she's my sister in law. Yeah!
And when we weren't jet setting around the country, we could be found trying restaurants and hotel bars across Phoenix and Scottsdale with our friends. We actually did manage to make some great friends in the little time we had there.
I don't know why I got the urge to document 2007-2008, but looking back, it really was a fun time in our lives. I am thankful we had the opportunity to live somewhere totally new, on our own and just enjoy life soon after we were married. In late spring 2008, the husband was accepted to business school and we relocated back home to New Orleans. Where, by the way, we never intended to stay. But here we are!
Thank you, Arizona, for a memorable and fun year!


























7 comments:
What a fun time in your lives! My husband and I headed out to Arizona/Nevada in 2008...and hit up Vegas, Flagstaff, Sedona, Scottsdale, and the Grand Canyon. One of our favorite vacays!
What a fun year you had!
I love reading about all of your adventures!
And looking at your fun pictures, of course.
Sounds like you two made the best out of it! That's a lot of sight seeing for a year!
I love that you had this experience though and it's always fun to read about what makes people who they are.
I think it was our first married Thanksgiving as well that we spent away as well and we did the same thing making all of our at home favorites. I vowed that day that we wouldn't spend another one away if we could help it! Now of course we have different thoughts with having a little one to travel with.
And I'm seriously coming to meet you in NOLA sometime when we do get back!
What a fun time in your lives! You really did make the most of it and really get to experience Arizona. And you have so many wonderful memories of your first year of marriage and were able to begin your lives, just the two of you in a new city experiencing all new things together. So fun!
awww what great pictures and what a fun way looking back!! i hear so many great things about nola and should really load up the fam and visit someday soon!
Post a Comment