So by now, unless you're hiding under a rock, I am sure you've heard about or seen the Time breastfeeding cover. If not, here's one of a million quick stories, and the picture is below.
I think the point of this article and image was to get people talking. So, mission accomplished. If you put "Time" into a Google search, this is the first thing that comes up.
My main issue here is with the title "Are you mom enough?" Do we really need more drama in this country about whether or not we're good moms? This kind of reminds me of my rant about the Facebook COO leaving work at 5:00pm every day. Some people are taking the title to mean "Are you mom enough to breastfeed your children until they are 3 or 4?" (which is such a huge commitment), while others are interpreting it as simply "are you mom enough to breastfeed?" Either way, I don't like the polarizing nature of the title. All mothers want to do the best thing for their children, and ultimately, I think a child's mother is the absolute best judge of what, in fact, is best. Was I supposed to keep charging ahead with nursing Thatcher when he lost weight between appointments and the pediatrician was talking about testing for cancer if he couldn't gain weight? That was an incredibly scary time, and I have no question that supplementing and plumping him up to make sure that he was capable of gaining weight was the right choice. But am I less of a mother because of that? I'd hate to think so because had I kept nursing exclusively, we could have put him through unnecessary and invasive tests while also jeopardizing critical brain development.
I think the question ought to be "are you mom enough to make tough choices and constantly put your children first even when that means changing course from what you personally wanted to do?"
I also find the picture highly sexual and the opposite of what breastfeeding is about at any age - to me, nursing is about nurturing, loving and providing for your child, and the fact that she is striking a pose while he is staring at the camera bugs me. No one nurses like that at home (and this mother even admitted so on The Today Show), so why must we display breastfeeding in this way? What would have been wrong with an image of the child at whatever age being cradled in the comfort of his room before bedtime? That would have been beautiful. But not nearly as sensational. And sensation sells.
I have no issue with attachment parenting or any other method of parenting for that matter - to each their own. I don't want to be judged for my choices, and I don't feel it my place to judge others. I don't want unsolicited advice on how best to parent my own child, and I am not going to pretend to know how to best parent other people's children. That said, I don't think the picture did anything to further attachment parenting or extended breastfeeding, which then leads me to believe it is just an article for sensational purposes and that kind of drives me bonkers.
I just get tired of the mom debates constantly bombarding us. They're everywhere you look: Facebook, Time, The Today Show, blogs, etc - it's like you're constantly judging yourself and wondering if you're good enough when I think what would be amazing is SUPPORT for all approaches versus espousing one. Especially right before Mother's Day when we should really be celebrating motherhood in general.
So those are my thoughts. And yours?

13 comments:
I agree with you completely. The fact that they diD this for money aggravates me too! I think maybe they were trying to get breastfeeding Numbers up but I think they did just the opposite. This cover was a little extreme, in my Honest opinion! And very sexual. Nice post!
This is all over the blogs today. I have a huge problem with the title as well! I say to each his own, if that's what she's into, fine. If not, that doesn't make you any less "mom"! Side note, I haven't thought about the strike a pose thing but now that you point it out, so weird. And imagine this kid when he is 16! O M G
I agree with you. It's a personal choice how long/if you breastfeed, but the photo is ridiculous.
My friend posted this article, in response to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-belkin/no-i-am-not-mom-enough_b_1507550.html
Amen. I think this cover is going to hurt the image of breast feeding because it seems a little sexualized. I think TIME just shot themselves in the foot because this seems to be pissing off moms across the board regardless of if they are hardcore AP parents or not.
I totally agree! Great post and very well said! :)
totally agree!
i blogged about this today!
Yes, the pose is ridiculous and my heart goes out to that poor boy who will suffer for it later in life. Kids can be cruel!
You and I definitely would be BFF in real life...I totally agree with you friend! You really articulated how I feel about this picture...it was all about the "sensation" of the picture not really about breastfeeding or attachment parenting. What a great way to bring in Mother's Day right? However a mom decides to parent or nuture her child is her choice--and as long as the child is healthy and happy then no one should care how the mom is doing it. I agree...there always seems to be a war on moms, and the media just likes to make it worse. Shame on TIME magazine!
I can definitely see how it would offend moms who don't breastfeed with that title. Not everyone is even able to breastfeed, so I don't think they should act as if you are a bad mother for not being able to. I totally agree that they did it to "sell."
It is really interesting to see all of the other images the photographer took for this shoot. It is clear Time chose the most sensational, but I suppose that makes sense. The other pictures really do show a lot more closeness. http://lightbox.time.com/2012/05/10/parenting/photo/1/#1
Quite honestly, this magazine cover doesn't bother me in the least. I am way more interested in what this magazine says about how our society views parenting choices than what Time is saying of mothers, I understand the hurt and the outrage, I just don't feel it myself.
First of all, I agree with everything you said. The controversy around this is crazy. I've seen a zillion blog posts, facebook posts, tweets, and even today moms were talking about it at Matt's son's baseball game. Dang!
You are far more diplomatic than me. I agree with you that the judgment of moms is totally unfair and harmful (especially since dads don't get it!), and it's really frustrating how some people think that their way is the only way and talk down to other moms about it. I think there are lots of ways to do things, and that generally, parents try to make the best decisions for their kids.
But--I think this woman is weird. I'm creeped out by people who seem to want to keep their kids as babies forever. That kid probably eats hamburgers, pizza, salads, etc . . . ew. She said on tv that her mother breastfed her until she was SIX!
What bothers me most is that this kid will be 12 one day and will have to contend with this magazine cover. That's probably going to be really embarrassing and confusing for him. :(
Sigh. I'm so tired of ploys like this. How often do we see men on the cover of a mag or the center of a media-invented controversy about Fatherhood? When are we going to stop tolerating judgment & attacks on women/Moms? When are we going to quit judging each other's choices? And when are men going to be held to the same standards? I'm guessing the answer to all these questions is "when monkeys come flying out of my fanny."
You wrote just about every thought that popped into my head when I saw this article. The biggest thing that irks me about it is how it portrays a judgemental attitude towards how we choose to care for and parent our children. I am of the belief that instead of us judging how others parent, we should just support one another.
I could care less if someone breastfeeds their kid till they are 6 or whatever- that's their business and I would hope that those mothers would extend the same courtesy to me- but this article is totally polarizing I think (or at least the cover is) and it frustrates me!
and like others have stated- i feel sorry for that poor little boy- he's going to be 13 and kids are going to pick on him because of this. He'll probably even get picked on in high school too!
Post a Comment