Words cannot express my love for Mardi Gras. I discovered this evening that the vast majority of my Mardi Gras pictures pre-date the digital age, which is kind of crazy. I only have a few on the computer from our wedding slide show! Otherwise I could bore you for weeks with my collection of Mardi Gras photos from the mid-1990s.
In college all of my best friends came down, which was a blast. My mom still says to this day that she has never seen girls eat that much food. I think we polished off a king cake every day we were home, which is not an exaggeration. Here I am with my friend Theckla circa 2002.
I am pretty sure this is our freshman year of high school, which means this picture was taken in 1996 - yikes. The girl on the left is my friend Marjorie who got married earlier this year, and the girl to the right is my friend Lindsay who is due a week before me with one of Thatcher's potential girlfriends (my how times have changed). Marjorie actually got us in trouble at this particular Mardi Gras because she convinced us to buy daiquiris. Yes, we were 14. Just one reason I am petrified of raising kids here.


And I have no earthly idea what year this is, but this is my best friend from growing up Lydia.
I absolutely love Mardi Gras. It's my most favorite holiday, and the second the Christmas decorations came down, the Mardi Gras decorations went up. The quality of these pictures is not great because I took them with my point and shoot, but here's our coffee table bowl, which I try to change out for the seasons.
I had some random Mardi Gras trim so I decided to wrap it around the candles on our mantle, which actually looks really cute in person. And on the front door hangs my beloved Mardi Gras wreath. It's way cooler in person, I promise. I am actually not sure it's normal to love a wreath as much as I love this one.
This Mardi Gras will be a tad different than Mardi Gras-es (how do you pluralize that?!?!) past given that we will likely have a 2 or 3 week old on our hands, but I am determined to walk to one of the "tame" day parades and take a few pictures of Thatcher at least. A New Orleans baby has to attend their first Mardi Gras!
Mardi Gras 2009


2 comments:
That picture just cracked me up!! I need to get my Mardi Gras decorations out of the attic.
Oh. My. God. That picture..it will haunt me forever :)
Post a Comment