September 2, 2010

Sneak peek: the nursery

I thought it'd be fun to share the very beginnings of the nursery just for fun! I am sure this will be an ever evolving project, but it's exciting to envision the room with a baby.

Right now we have a chest (which we'll use as a changing table), a couch and a floor lamp. We're currently planning to keep the couch in the room because we definitely want a place to sit and I am not sure I can justify buying a glider. If anything I may try to find an antique rocking chair and get cushions made, as I think a stuffed chair would overpower the room. The couch is a khaki canvas, so whenever we find out if it's a girl or boy I am going to get some fun decorative pillows (at least one will be monogrammed!) to personalize it.



This is the chest, which we are going to use as the changing table. I am worried that it's a tad high, but we'll figure that out when the baby arrives I suppose! I love this chest because it belonged to my great grandparents, and I just adore furniture with a story and history behind it. Plus, the free price tag is nice!



This is the floor lamp, which belonged to my grandmother. What's cool is that I vividly remember this piece in my grandparents' home. I can't wait to put some accessories on it.



Last but not least, if it's a boy I am considering using this painting as inspiration for a color palette and fabrics. For anyone who may not be familiar, it's a painting of the roman candy man, which is a horse drawn wagon that sells candy similar to taffy. Not only do I love the connection to the husband and I's childhood (we both have fond memories of buying roman candy at the zoo as children), it has some great boy colors to pull out, like a subtle blue and red and then of course the various shades of brown. At this point I am leaning towards picking fabrics that are not necessarily intended for a nursery and having bedding made. For example, I love this nursery and would love to do something similar.



Totally switching gears, but I just had to share the flowers I planted outside our front door because they make me happy!


And then on another unrelated note, I asked Erin at Blue Eyed Bride where she finds cute football season clothes for kids because she has amazing taste in children's clothing and she sent along the most precious outfits ever.

This one is actually reversible: one side is for the Saints and the other is for LSU. Adorable and convenient!

(Image courtesy here)

The husband and I both went to UVA, and I think this outfit is way too cute for words.

(Image courtesy here)

Of course, both come in dress versions but since I am convinced it's a boy I only looked at those!

4 comments:

Jen Watts said...

Those outfits are too cute!! Congratulations on your pregnancy...I voted sugar and spice cause I need another blogger to follow with a baby girl ;)

a boy a girl and a pug said...

love the nursery pieces...can't wait to see the end result. you're so right a cute antique rocking chair would be adorable!!

Lindsay said...

Its going to be so cute!

Anonymous said...

I love the nursery ideas. It's so understated, but still beautiful!