September 18, 2010

Football / Fall Food

One of my favorite parts about fall and football season is the opportunity to make some of our favorite recipes. Even though it's still a tad hot here today, we're making one of the classics, red beans and rice, and having friends over.


Red Beans and Rice
I use a recipe that's adapted from one of the Baton Rouge Junior League River Road Recipes cookbooks. My favorite part about this recipe is that it's SO easy.

--2 pounds dried kidney beans (camellia brand if possible)
--ham (I use the lean pre-cut cubes)
--sausage (I use turkey sausage to keep it lean)
--salt
--hot sauce
--worcestershire sauce
--onion powder
--bay leaf
--white rice

1. Soak beans overnight - this is a must, so don't skip this step!
2. Drain the beans in the morning. In a large pot, add everything together (told you this was easy) and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. This may be obvious, but include about 12 cups of water. There's no point in measuring the seasonings - just use your judgment and adjust based on smell.
3. Add water as necessary as the beans cook. We let the beans cook for a loooooong time because we like them super soft. It can take all afternoon.
4. Serve over rice. I love to add sherry vinegar to my plate, but that's a learned habit.

3 comments:

a boy a girl and a pug said...

i have never had red beans and rice looks good. i always love some chili and football too. oh and icees oh the childhood memories.

Savannah said...

Love that you include life updates AND recipes! Can't wait to try a few myself. :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't had an Icee in AGES! Ahhh, memories. Your red beans and rice look delicious! I wish I had some right now. :)