Like many other neurotic moms, I stressed and stressed over finding Thatcher the perfect Christmas stocking. I scoured every website, asked friends, asked the husband and received a blank stare in return and just couldn't make up my mind. I wanted something with lasting appeal but also childish. I then wondered if I should get something more sophisticated for my future gorgeous mantle. I thought about the fact that the stocking would get touched and dragged on the floor and decided the fancy stocking could wait. I worried about styles being discontinued because ideally I'd like all of our children to have similar stockings. If I am being honest, I thought about ordering extras from the same line for our unborn children, figuring that worst case scenario I could find someone capable of matching the thread and font for the names. Pretty much, I needed to get a grip. I finally settled on a fun stocking from Pottery Barn Kids, which I wrote about here. It came in the mail and I was happy.
And then one of my mom's dearest friends surprised us. She has one of the kindest souls you will ever encounter, and she needlepointed Thatcher a stocking that is breathtakingly beautiful. I mean, it is gorgeous. The pictures don't do it justice, but it is seriously stunning. Totally what I had in mind for my future fancy mantle.
The detail is phenomenal, and some of the thread actually sparkles (like Santa's belt and the ornaments on the tree). And could the animals peeking in the window be any cuter? I seriously love it. But what is even more touching is that she started this when she found out I was pregnant, waited to hear if we were having a girl or a boy to make it more feminine/masculine and then waited for us to have a name to personalize it. She's been working on it for months! I was so surprised and blown away. It is one of the best gifts we've ever received, mostly because of the thought and energy behind it. I love that her generous spirit will be the story behind his stocking for years to come, as that is one of the values I most want my children to have.



6 comments:
It's soooo beautiful! Seriously, probably one of the best I've seen. I've been wanting needle point stockings... just don't know anyone who does it. What a terrific friend!
too cute - what a thoughtful gift, you can treasure forever! can't believe its almost christmas!
I just have to say, that stocking is fantastic. I mean, fantastic!
Oh my goodness. What a treasure. What a piece of art! And what an incredibly loving thing to do for Thatcher. I can't even imagine how many hours she spent making this for him. God bless your Mom's sweet friend.
SO beautiful! I also have gone back and forth a MILLION times about what stockings to order for my little girls, and decided on the plain red and ivory ones from Pottery Barn with everyone's names on it!
So beautiful!
Post a Comment